What's new

Progressive DVD Player AND iScan Pro line doubler (1 Viewer)

JonDeutsch

Grip
Folks,
I currently have a DVDO iScan Pro line doubler, mated with my Sony interlaced DVD player.
I am considering upgrading to DVD-Audio in the shape of the new Toshiba SD4700. The SD4700, however, has progressive output.
I do not know the quality of the internal line doubler of the SD4700, but I'm fairly sure that my iScan is probably better. If my assumptions are correct, how can I still use my iScan with the SD4700? I don't think the iScan takes in progressive signals, so is there normally a way to send out interlaced signals from progressive units?
Any info greatly appreciated.
------------------
Jon
Link Removed
Link Removed
Coming Soon:
http://toptentech.com
Link Removed

Tom Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
"I don't think the iScan takes in progressive signals, so is there normally a way to send out interlaced signals from progressive units?"
On my RP91 you can just not turn the progressive switch on the front on.
------------------
Image9.gif

Tom&Amy's DVD's

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Jon,
while iScan does a great job of line doubling, it introduces extra A/D-D/A conversion. I recommend you compare the 4700's progressive mode output -- it may be better (I assume you have either a wide-screen or squeeze-capable display).

JonDeutsch

Grip
Yeah, I suppose it's possible that going through the analog domain would significantly diminish the quality. But, I would like to have the option to choose my line-doubler.
Does anyone know whether Toshiba units allow you to output progressive or interlaced?
------------------
Jon
Link Removed
Link Removed
Coming Soon:
Link Removed

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure about that particular Toshiba unit, but I believe that *all* progressive DVD players have the option for interlaced output. If there are exceptions (I'm not aware of any), then they are extremely rare.
You're probably right in this case that the iScan has a better line doubler than the Toshiba, though of course there are other DVD players that'll also have better de-interlacing than the Toshiba.
In any case, you should be in good shape with what you're considering (unless your TV doesn't support anamorphic squeeze for 480p input, in which case I'd steer clear of Toshiba DVD players altogether.)

JonDeutsch

Grip
So, it sounds like most progressive units have either a software or hardware switch that will allow me to put out an interlaced signal. This is good. I hope to confirm this with the SD4700 when they finally release them.
Yes, my 4:3 Philips 60PP9601 has the 16:9 squeeze mode.
------------------
Jon
Link Removed
Link Removed
Coming Soon:
Link Removed

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------unless your TV doesn't support anamorphic squeeze for 480p input, in which case I'd steer clear of Toshiba DVD players altogether.)
------------------------------------------------------------
Which Toshiba prog. dvd players don't have aspect ratio control, besides the ancient 5109?
My 6200 does and the 9200 as well.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Mark-
I think Neil was referring to the anamorphic downconversion artifacts that Toshiba DVD players introduce.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks