What's new

progressive blues..problem with output quality. (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Just picked up an open box JVC XV-D723. It works ok playing in 480i but as soon as I change to 480p I have weird artifacts on my Panasonic 47" HDTV that shows awesome in interlace mode. What I get is 'noise' bars or outlines on various details on the screen. Sometimes on faces, sometimes on the shadows of certain objects. Looks like sparkling of some kind...I guess. Very annoying. What I wondering is if something like this someone else has seen and what to do about it. I'm willing to deal with the warranty because I want to keep this player since it was a steal for me. Yes, I've tried all the progressive modes too and both inputs on tv. I am using a basic RCA component cabel though. Good enough? Thanks for any help.

Keir H

Second Unit
Anybody? No help from JVC tech support. What does the chroma bug look like that I heard around here? What 'artifacts' should I look for?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
If one of the wires in your component cable set is bad (loose connector, too long/short) it can give you ghost/outlines aroung things.
Most component cables work fine for HD/Progressive signals, but in reality, a higher-bandwidth cable is prefered. Your generic cables might be on the edge of acceptiable.
I've heard a lot of good things about AR Pro series cables. If you can find a local dealer, go pick up a set and keep the receipt in case you need to return them. Should run about $30-$50.
Or, take the unit back to the store, describe the problem and see if they will hook the unit up in Progressive mode in the store. This is another way to decide if the problem is the player or the cable.

Keir H

Second Unit
Thanks Bob! It's nice to have a fellow Def Tech lover answer my questions which seemed to stump everyone else. Good idea. I'll bring to my aunt's house to hook it up to a Hitachi 53" HDTV. Hopefully it's not the TV, I'd be sick as that's the hardest thing to get look at. Thanks again!

Mark Rich

Second Unit
I would suggest you upgrade those cables ASAP. Try a broadcast quality high bandwidth cable such as Belden 1694a or one of the Canare models rather than a cheap retail brand. Not much more $$ and you should never need to upgrade. That and you will get a better picture.
Rhinocables.com sells 1694a cable set (top of the line)
Wickedcables.com sells 1505a cable set (slight step down)
KustomKables.com sells Canare brand

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks