Programming MX-500 remote to control Sony DA4ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyTone, Nov 8, 2002.

1. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Anyone owning an MX-500 universal remote and a Sony DA4ES finding out that it's gonna be difficult to program the MX-500 to control the various DA4ES function settings? There are no pre-programmed codes on the MX-500 that will control the DA4ES, and anyone with a DA4ES remote knows that the majority of the receiver functions that can be accessed by using the Sony remote are dependant on the scroll wheel, which sends out an infrared signal only when pressed. So...I reckon that I would need to use the combination of some button and the scroll wheel on the Sony remote to move the arrow on the LCD display to whatever option I want to choose, e.g. DVD/LD; then program an MX-500 button to learn the signal that would be transmitted from the DA4ES remote upon pressing the scroll wheel to perform the actual selection, which in the above case would select the DVD/LD input on the receiver. I haven't tried this yet but will do so tonight, assuming of course that doing so is feasible and others who are in the same boat as myself have already done so successfully; if this doesn't work, hopefully someone will chime in so that I can save myself the trouble and aggravation of trying to do so.[​IMG]

2. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Tony,

I don't have that model Sony receiver. Does the OEM remote/receiver use two way communications (as many Sony's do)? If so, you probably need to teach your Mx 500 in another room. The IR signal from the receiver to the OEM remote very often will confuse the learning remote. I went through this when trying to teach my Pronto codes from my STR-V444ES receiver's remote.

Jim L

3. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Jim--the remote that comes with the DA4ES is one-way. My issue is finding a workaround for the scroll wheel, which doesn't send an IR signal when scrolled up or down AFAIK. However, I reckon that a unique discrete IR signal is transmitted from the Sony remote upon pressing down on the scroll wheel to select a particular function, e.g. SB DECODING or DVD/LD input, and that all I need to do is program a button on the MX-500 to learn that particular function--no?

Now that I think of it--the scroll wheel is probably advantageous to having to repeatedly press down on a non-discrete button on an OEM remote in order to select a function, like what you'd have to do on the typical Sony remote in order to switch between video inputs, e.g. VIDEO1/VIDEO2/etc.--at least as far as programming universal remotes go...unless you have one of those OFA remotes which can be programmed to accept (not "learn") discrete codes.