programming Aliens...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DannyS, Jul 20, 2002.

1. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

Can you program the chapter stops in Aliens Special Edition to play the theatrical cut?

Just a thought........

2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    No, because there are mere seconds worth of added material in many of the sequences. You can easily excise the five minutes of material near the beginning showing the families on the terraforming planet (which introduces Newt), as that sequence is self-contained with its own chapter stop. The other additions are very short and add a bit of human interest to the characters (Weaver's relationship to Newt, etc) and I feel really help the film anyway.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    They should have added the branching feature to this film. While the extended version is good, I always feel the theatrical should be available as an option.

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I actually do prefer the theatrical version of this film. It's tighter and more claustrophobic. I like (as Cameron said) going into the complex for the first time with the marines as opposed to having a pre-conceived notion about it which we get from the extended opening.

The only thing I would have kept was the mention of Ripley's daughter. That smoothed out her character a bit. I'm an oddity because I don't like the automated gun sequence, it slows down the already slowest stretch in the film. And the hammy bit at the end with Hicks and Ripley exchanging first names is just wrong.

If this comes out again with the branching feature I'll snap it up in a heartbeat.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The theatrical cut is far inferior to the extended, and frankly I am pleased as punch to have to the proper version in my grubby little hands. Maybe it's just the fact I saw it on CBS first with about half the footage put back in, but I can't watch Aliens' theatrical. There just so much meat missing.

6. Scott Beaver

Scott Beaver Extra

I have to totally agree with Neil that this should have been a seamless branching DVD.

I also agree with Chad that the original cut heightened the suspense of the film. In fact, that's why its always been on my personal top 10 list. It was the first movie that I ever walked out of the theater at the end and noticed my heart was pounding. To only have a cut that in my opinion dulls the excitement of the film really puts the damper on one of those "magic of the movies" kind of experiences. It bothers me so much that I haven't bothered to watch the DVD since my original viewing.

7. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Jeff,
    No one is saying you shouldn't be able to hold the extended Aliens in your grubby hands (uh...why don't you wash them before handling your discs? [​IMG] ), we just want the theatrical version available as well.
    I'm sure you can agree with that...

8. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

9. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

10. Osato

Osato Producer

At least Fox didn't release two versions of the film. To those who have both versions of Aliens. Which do you watch? I would think you would just watch the new version after seeing the original so many times. I understand with wanting both versions, but I think I would always watch the newer extended version of the film.
    Thought this was a great DVD. Would've liked to see a documentary on the making of the film itself though.

11. Lucas Dang

Lucas Dang Stunt Coordinator

my favorite part of the movie is in the extended cut.

something to the effect of:

we got nukes, we got rifles, we got knives, we got sharp sticks!

I liked the extended because I love the Aliens movies, any bit more is just fine with me. but its not movie changing significant like the Abyss cut.