What's new

Program Guide Difference-Dish/DTV (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I currently have both Dish & DTV. DTV are Sony receivers and the Dish receivers are Echostar DV3s. There is an extreme difference in the speed of the program guide between the two, with DTV having the advantage.
Is this an issue of the receivers, or is Dish slower in general?
------------------
Johnny

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was a D* subscriber until last summer when I switched to Dish's Dishplayer and HD6000. The 6000 guide was a HUGE let down. Plain and slow. I've also seen some other dish receivers and they are the same. Since the Dishplayer OS is made by someone else (Microsoft), it looks much better. The speed used to be better because everthing was cached to the hard drive. The last few upgrades have screwed up the speed and reliabilty to the point I may switch back.
-Robert

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So its sounds like there is an inherent lack of speed in the Dish program guide technology. From what I've been able to see, the DTV image is better.
I considering all these things, because if we get a PDR, do I go with Dish or DTV?
------------------
Johnny

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've read over at www.dbsforums.com that the PVR501 is a lot faster than the rest of Dish's receivers. A recent upgrade put the program guide information on the hard drive rather than downloading it from the satellite.
I like DirecTivo's dual tuner feature. I periodically miss shows with my Dishplayer because of conflicts. I also like the idea of recording based on show name rather than start/stop times. The DirecTivo will automatically add the extra 10 minutes that Band of Brothers will run tonight. I had to manually change my timer.
Dish is going to release a dual tuner PVR sometime in the near future. Dish Depot is already taking pre-orders. Rumor is that it is based on the Linux OS, has a dual tuner and the ability to surf the web. As with most Dish equipment, we'll see when it comes out.
-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks