Prog Scan/HDTV Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_Sit, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Michael_Sit

Michael_Sit Auditioning

If I get a progressive scan DVD player, what type of TV do I need ? HDTV-capable, one with component inputs ? I've tried to read a lot but I don't get the correlation.
    What is everyone's recommendation if I wanted to buy a picture tube HDTV right now.
    I am also moving to the Richmond area of San Francisco. Anyone in this area able to get HDTV with an indoor antenna ?

2. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I don't know how it may be with other models, but the Toshiba's two sets of component inputs will support 480p DVD input or 1080i HDTV inputs. They must be configured in the menu.
    I imagine other TVs with colorstream component inputs would be similar. In my case, the first input (480p - DVD) is native (not upconverted) and looks very nice.
    My dish 6000 receiver upconverts everything to 1080i and this feeds my other component input (1080i - DTV).
    Hope this helps,
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    I have a wonderful proof of this theorem but, with the 1536 kb/s bitrate DTS soundtrack, there is no room on the DVD to write it.
    -Fermat

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I am not aware of any direct view or RPTV which is hd ready that will not accept a progressive scan signal from a progressive scan dvd player...IF you have an hd ready set, a progressive scan dvd player is definatly the way to go...
    ------------------