Prog. Scan DVD for Marantz SR-8200 Receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete Jennings, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Hello all!
    My JVC XVD-721 progressive scan DVD player just bit the dust.[​IMG] It began locking up in on layer changes, displaying random pixellation and otherwise showing its a$$ a few days ago. I think the laser pickup assy is toast. While it is technically out of factory warranty, I did purchase the unit with my Mastercard and this effectively doubles the warranty. So, the PARTS are still covered at this time, but not the labor. If the estimate is over $100 labor to repair the unit, I will just replace it.
    Although the 721 is a DVD-A capable unit, I have not bought any DVD-A disks (I have been waiting for the dust to settle in the DVD-A/SACD wars), so I am not commited to any 5.1 music formats. I do NOT have to have either format at this time, I will probably replace the unit in two years or so with the winner of the format wars. I do require progressive scan capability, and digital coax output (I HATE TOSlink). It would also be nice to get a unit that my Marantz SR-8200 receiver will play nice with, something that the 8200 locks on the digital audio fairly fast on startup and after layer changes. I would like a standard height black unit. No slim-line, precious metal colors please!
    I have been looking at Accessories4Less, and thinking about their Marantz DV-6200. I have by no means ruled ANYTHING else out, but I would like to keep my total cost down to a more WAF friendly $400.[​IMG]
    I appreciate any suggestions you might have, especially any input other Marantz SR-8200 owners have.
    TIA!
    Pete

2. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Ok, I went ahead and bought a new Marantz DV-6200 DVD player from my local dealer today. The dealer pulled it out of the box to demo it for me, scraped the side against the corner of a rack, cursed a bit, and then offered the unit to me for $100 less than his previous price!! It was a really nasty paint nick on the upper right side. A little Sharpie work and now you can't even see it after I installed the unit in my rack. [​IMG]
    I really haven't had time to mess too much with it (poker game tonight), but MY GOD THE BASS IS BETTER THAN THE JVC!! I was really surprised in the difference. I haven't re-calibrated the RPTV input yet, so I'm not gonna be too critical yet on the video, bet overall I was pleased with the first 20 minutes of Fifth Element Superbit.
    Pete