Professor Predicts Human Time Travel This Century

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff Gatie, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

If time travel is possible in the future, how come we haven't seen any evidence of it in the past? This strikes me as one of those things where absence of evidence really is evidence of absence. [​IMG]

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The professor did explain this in the article. He is an adherent to the multiple universe theory, so any time travelers are going to travel to an alternate universe from our own. He also uses this to explain the "Grandfather Paradox".

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Link isn't working for me. [​IMG]

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Let's see if I got this straight...

With the Grandfather Paradox, if you are in another universe and kill your grandfather, he's saying that you won't die because THAT grandfather will not be around to produce one of your parents (and eventaully you)...You're still around because your grandfather (from YOUR universe) was never killed in the past?

Did I get that right?

7. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean

But that is making a HUGE assumption that people traveling back in time won't be careful to not reveal themselves or leave behind this "evidence".

I'm not saying I think time travel is possible, but I like thinking about the possibility more for entertainment/imagination value.

Just using my imagination, but if time travel is possible in the future one would hope it would NOT be something just anyone can do for fun, because that would likely result in chaos (if it is possible to change the past and not limited to "alternate dimensions"). One would hope that it would be done by responsible people undertaking scientific/historic research.

So why would we expect that if time travel is real in the future that we should know because we would know that we have been visited by "future people"? If the people that travel to the past are responsible, shouldn't they go through great pains to observe only and not "contaminate" the past? Wouldn't you think they would not want to reveal themselves or alter history?

Now, in sci-fi movies and television programs we seen situations where people get thrown back in time by accident (and therefore bumble about interacting with the past) or are going back specifically to change things (for the better or for the worse), but even in those cases the stories usually involve the idea of trying not to alter the future, etc... And in most of those stories when someone does try to tell people they are from the future, no one believes them anyway (examples of "future technology" can be written of as parlor tricks). But, again, most time travel situations we have seen or read about are stories written to be entertaining adventures, and the type of thing that goes on in those types of stories (which would at least be more likely to leave some kind of evidence) are not the most likely scenarios for "real" future time travel to the past. I think (at least I hope) that more likely scenarios would be much more stuffy scientific/historic observations.

So is it really a good argument to say that if time travel is possible in the future we should know because those future people would travel back in time and say "Hey everybody, I'm from the FUTURE! Whoo-Hoo! Look at my cool technology! Wanna know what happens in the future?" Ok, that is a bit over the top, but you get the idea. Even a less-silly example of a time traveler dropping his "tricorder" which is then found by people native isn't necessarily going to be "proof of time travel". It could be thought to be advanced technology from another country, or another world, etc.. Or the time travelers could go back and correct mistakes they made that left "evidence". They are time travelers after all. [​IMG] Though that is more of a sci-fi show type of scenario.

But hey, for all we know maybe we already have some type of "evidence". Maybe UFOs are real, except they aren't aliens in spaceships, they are a future evolution of humans (now small and grey with no clothes or hair) in space/time ships!! And they have perpetuated other "hoaxes" to discredit people with real evidence!! [​IMG]

I think the silliest thing of all is that I just spent this much time typing about this. [​IMG]

8. MarkHastings

Sean, you're looking at the immediate future. Obviously the first "Time Machine" would be used with GREAT responsibility, but what about MANY years in the future?

What about the point where (if it's possible) that time travel is the 'norm' and everyone can do it?

And even if a time machine was invented (by the government or a scientist) and it was kept under control, there would probably be a point when the technology gets out and as much as the responsible people would like to control it, time travel would happen by those who aren't so responsible.

So where are those people? Why haven't we seen any of them? [​IMG]

The future is forever and to think that (if a time machine can be built) people can keep it under wraps forever, is almost impossible. That's why I like that "multiple universe" explanation. It fills in a lot of holes.

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    mark, you're just not thinking 4th dimensionally!

-doc brown

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Great, time travel a reality, thus proving once and for all that humans are the DUMBEST God damn species in the universe! [​IMG]

I won't explain what I mean, you'll have to figure it out, let me just say that I am against this.

11. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Mark, this is all in fun of course, but there are all kinds of theoretical answers to the issues you brought up.

Well, again there are lots of assumptions there. You really just can't assume that it would ever get to the point where it would be the "norm", just like I can't assume that it won't. Remember, I'm not saying that I think time travel is possible and trying to make a case for it. I'm simply pointing out that the idea used here (I think somewhat jokingly) as proof against it ("absence of evidence really is evidence of absence") doesn't hold up without lots of assumptions.

Now, I think it is at least a reasonable possibility that time travel, if it is possible, would NEVER (even into the deep/distant future)become something easy enough to become common place. I'm not saying that it won't because I can't know that. But I don't think it is unreasonable to say that it may be possible that if the nature of the universe actually allows for humanity to figure out how to travel in time it may be so complicated and difficult that it NEVER becomes an common place event.

And for the sake or argument, let's say that it is possible but extremely difficult for say the first several hundred (or thousand) years but with enough time it would become the "norm". Based on this you might be tempted to say then that at this point less careful people go back in time and leave evidence. And sure, that's possible if it went that far. But what if humanity never gets the chance to go that far? Isn't that at least a possibility? Certainly. Therefore, you can't just assume either way and use it as some kind of logical evidence.

On a more sci-fi show tangent, imagine that time travel is possible 500 years from now. It is controlled by a responsible government/scientific organization and they are careful not to interfere with or pollute the past. Then let's say 5,000 years from now it is common place and irresponsible "joy riders" keep going back into the distant past and making a mess. Maybe the people from the more "responsible era" take on the responsibility to monitor for contamination from the "irresponsible era" and then they "clean-up after them" and preserve the uncontaminated timeline. Heck the people from the responsible era could travel into the future and try to discover just how things changed to eventually lead to time travel becoming common place, and then they could travel to various points in time before that happens and "sabotage" the future development of the time travel technology. But then the far future people could......yada, yada. My head is spinning. You get the idea? Big mess once you have "time travel" available in different eras with different priorities. I didn't like the "temporal cold war" plotline on Star Trek Voyager, but there is some applicability to this discussion as an example.

I think the big point here is that even though most of that is just sci-fi mumbo jumbo, you could at least imagine that if you are talking about huge spans of time into the deep future and throwing time travel into the mix that is available in the "future" and "deep future" there could be conceivably be all sorts of possible issues/scenarios that arise. Therefore, to just make one assumption about this idea and use it as logical proof that "it is not possible because..." doesn't work.

Damn, my Spock ears are itching and my thick black glasses keep sliding down my nose!

12. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    It doesn't matter how "careful" some future civilazation is with time travel, the REMARKABLE ease to which you can screw things up makes time travel not merely inadvisable, but undoubtably and stark-ravingly DEADLY to us all.

It's just another case of us humans trying to accomplish something simply because we could and never for an instant reflecting on whether or not we should.

If we ever accomplish this little feat...we're done for, and that's not an opinion, folks.

13. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean

I'd call it more of an assumption, actually. [​IMG]

14. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    It's not an assumption, it's a prediction, time travel will open up a pandoras box of problems the first time someone uses it.

Time travel should not become a reality...ever.

15. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    *laugh* First, I doubt if such a thing would ever happen.

Second, it all depends on the belief of infinite outcomes.

In effect, at every decision in your life, every second, there are a billion different outcomes; and, actually, every one of them actually happens. They just happen in different universes (parallels) and thus have completely different outcomes, and all moves on from there the same.. so it is an infinite # of potential realities.

What the professor is theorizing is not the ability to jump back directly (linearly) into the same timespan as the one we exist, which would be ridiculous and by Hawking's ideas impossible, but rather, the ability to form a loop with another set of outcomes and go backward based on those.

So, who knows, you could leap backward into another outcome in which wherewolves were real, or dinosaurs still rule the earth in 1950 [​IMG]

16. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I've returned to the past!

17. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I have already built a time machine and can prove it.

I will now get in to my time machine and travel 8 minutes into the past and make a post in this thread at exactly 7:59pm.

I'll see you all in the past....

18. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

When the Professor got to the phrase, "drop a sugar cube"
    everything became clear to me. [​IMG]

19. MarkHastings

Oh yes, I totally agree. No proof doesn't mean it won't ever happen (and vice versa), but as far as your "what if humanity never gets the chance to go that far" (referring to time travel being the 'norm') - I think time travel is a can of worms (like John elludes to) that, if open, won't be able to be controlled.

I just see it as either it ain't going to ever happen, or if it does, it won't be able to be kept under wraps.

20. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Heh, didn't even enter my mind...