Professional Dodge Ball, Who would play?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bill Griffith, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

I love Dodge Ball

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I don't know, the Chinese probably dominate with the way they raise their dodge ball players. It would be decades before we could have athletes in America that could compete on that level.

3. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Those who couldn't make it on the professional Rock, Paper, Scissors tour.

4. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

i'm in...

but what are the rules? i remember playing dodgeball where two people would be in the middle of a circle of other people and the people on the outside threw the ball at the people inside. Everyone always says that is wrong and not the way it is played

5. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Im in, but only if Randy Johnson is on my team.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    One of the ways we played dodgeball in elementary school was that there was two lines in a rectangular gym and the people who were "it" (usually anywhere from 2-4 kids) would stand in the middle while the kids would be on either side. Then the guinea pig would run across and not get hit. The freeloaders would then go across while the "its" were busing retreiving the balls while the bums would stand there and twinkle their fingers. I think eventually there was a rule that everybody had to go or something like that....

Jay

7. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Jack, that wasn't very nice.

8. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Fairview High School Dodge ball

We played in the mat room downstairs. It was about the size of four wrestling rings square. The whole room was padded. The class was divided up into two teams each taking there place along a wall of two opposite side of the mat room. Each team’s area was one half of the mat room signified by a line splitting the wrestling rings apart. Crossing over to the other team’s area sent the player out of the game. Four balls are put into play two on each team to start. When the whistle blows anyone on the other team is fare game. A player is out if they get hit by the ball or a member of the opposing team catches the ball they threw. When a player is out they take position in a line on the perpendicular wall to the playing wall. When a player catches a ball a member of there team may come back to play. This does not count if the ball has hit a wall or another player first. If the ball hits a player and is then caught before it the ground nobody is out. If a ball is "trapped" when thrown between the ground or the wall and a player nobody is out. A maximum of three balls may be thrown at one player at a time. Last team standing wins!

9. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Over here, we played by these rules:

The court was divided in two halves, with each team taking one side. One ball was used. Any player that got hit had to stand behind the opposing team's "end zone" and try to catch any stray balls that came their way. If they caught one, they had to nail one of the opposing team's players. If they succeeded, they could return to their side of the court. I don't remember how the game ended, I think you had to bring the entire opposing team over to your end zone.

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The only way professional dodge ball is going to take off is if it gets TV revenue and ratings.

How to make that happen? Pick the right people as the targets. You want a ratings monster? Try some of these names:

Martha Stewart
    Paris Hilton
    Larry King
    Richard Simmons
    Aaron Brown

Feel free to add your own. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

11. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Joseph,
    I'd love to see Mariah Carey in that list. And the slingers would be those poor starving kids she referred to in this infamous quote......

"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff"
    Mariah Carey

[​IMG]

Phil

12. wally

wally Second Unit

Any person featured in a report on Entertainment Tonight last week is an "IT" this week.

13. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

In college we used to play co-ed naked dodgeball.... [​IMG]

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Philip:

She never said that. Another Urban Legend, I'm afraid. It is still okay to hate her for all the actual dumb things she's said, though. Not to mention her records, her videos and her general cheesiness.

Naked dodge ball could get you hurt. Give me naked Twister any day. (FARKERS will know where to find the link. [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe

15. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

You gotta be kidding me. Professional dodge ball? Ugh. Call me when someone gets together a full contact chess league. *dons football pads*

16. Bill Griffith

I envision Dodge ball as a bit more chaotic.

Use jelly balls about the size of a soccer ball. two teams of 6. 1 single line right in the middle of a field abit bigger than a bascket ball court. 2 balls. If the opposing team catches the ball the one who through it is out and if you tag someone in the head its 2 points, rest of the body, legs and arms is 1 point, and catching is 2 points. The best 3 out of 5 games wins.

There's nothing funnier than seeing someone get beamed upside the head with a jelly ball.

17. Bill Griffith

Well maybe getting nailed in the sack

18. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

19. wally

wally Second Unit

20. TedE

TedE Stunt Coordinator

There is an organized, outdoor dodgeball league in Chicago I think. Don't know if it's still around.

Here in D.C. we have adult kickball: WAKA . Until you get yourself in a league you have no idea how much fun this is. Divisions are popping up all over the place. Apparently there was a blurb in USA Today this week which had a picture from our fall division.