Professional 2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck Mayer, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    comingsoon.net reports that Luc Besson is working on a script for a sequel to the Professional, but he will only consider making it if Natalie returns as Mathilda.
    That seemed like a bit of good news to me! It could be nothing, but...
    Take care [​IMG],
    Chuck

2. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Interesting...

I hope Natalie does...I still think it's her best performance.

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

As hokey as it may seem, I would love to see a version where she still talks to Leon as though he was there. Imagine how this was dealt with in Eye of the Beholder with the little girl. Could make for some interesting interaction and hopefully maintain the 'more than an action movie' feel of the original.
    And here is to hoping that they title this one Matilda : The Professional!

4. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I'm surprised to see so few replies. I saw this on theforce.net this morning, and later at AICN. This would be cool to see if true.

5. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

I'd go see it just to see Natalie.

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Maybe there is a lot of concern about this. The original works so well, as well as having a tragic/optimistic ending, that there is a lot of room to make mistakes. But having Luc involved is an extremely positive sign (despite the lukewarm reception of the Messenger). If he feels the desire to return to it, I think I'd buy a ticket. If Natalie returns, the ticket buys itself.

If he was just looking for a cash cow, I would think he would remake Taxi instead.

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Why not have Natalie hook up with La Femme Nikita for the sequel? Could be good! [​IMG]

8. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Could you imagine how cool it would be if Matilda was matched up against Nikita? As in they were on opposite sides for most of the match, and the contrast of Matilda's youth and energy vs Nikita's age and wisdom?

Sends shivers down my spine, that one does. Plus, any movie with both Natalie and Anne Parillaud is tops in my book.

9. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

Besson already made this film (sort of), it was called La Femme Nikita. A fine film. And I love "Leon", absolutely love it, but wouldn't a sequel undermine the original's ending? Don't we get that she learns from Leon's mistakes? Having her follow in his footsteps doesn't really work for me. A film as fresh and unique as "Leon" doesn't need a sequel IMO.

But like Hubert said, I'd still go see it if only for Natalie's angelic face.

10. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I would LOVE to see this film get greenlit!! I also agree that Portman is the only girl that should star in the sequel.

11. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

I'd much rather see Luc turn his attention to something fresh. Sequels like this are almost always driven into the ground by the studio in the name of money.

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

So, any word if Leon's long-lost identical twin brother comes to America for a few jobs? And Mathilda and him unite for one big job? [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

14. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    How about less sequels, and more original movies? Just a thought.

15. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Jeremy, we get PLENTY of original movies! Just look at the indie movies and other small fry. [​IMG] What we really need is less exposure to the un-original stuff. I mean, Harry Potter squeezing out just about everything with its huge number of screens...ugh, talk about over-representation. Not to mention all the advertising...I wouldn't be surprised if HP trailers and teasers outnumber all the other current films 10-to-1! [​IMG]
    I don't mind the occasional sequel. It's the marketing/media blitz that drives me nuts.
    Anyways, I was joking about the identical twin comment...just look at A Better Tomorrow II for a funny example of it actually happening. [​IMG]

16. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    I don't know if this has already been noted, but Natalie Portman has denied that she has any involvement in a sequel to Leon (or The Professional as it is known in the US), and is not interested.

However, she is currently deciding on whether to do......wait for it.....Dirty Dancing II!!!!!

17. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I want to see Natalie back in Aiello's shop, slowly drinking a glass of milk...

18. Rollo Lee

Rollo Lee Agent

What happened to the rumour that Johnnie To (acclaimed Hong Kong director of movies like The Mission, Fulltime Killer) was tapped to direct and wanted to bring back Leon somehow?

19. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

"Leon" ended so well that I don't think I would like to see a sequel.
    I would like to see a sequel to the Fifth Element though, it was more of a fun movie so that wouldn't bother me so much. And of course.... MILLA! [​IMG]

20. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron