Product Opinion

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Hey all.

I trust your judgement on things like this so I thought I would ask about this item I am thinking about getting. It would suit my needs but I just wanted to make sure it would work well.

I basically need another component input for my TV. It has one, in use for my HD Cable box. I have a Wii now with component cables so I was looking at this item: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

I don't want to spend $100 on some fancy switcher box. I wont need another input for a long while so just gaining one by the splitter is all I would need. You think the quality would be as good as it is now directly connected? I thought about just switching plugs for each item, but figure plugging/unplugging over and over can't be good for the inputs or cables.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
No. That is a splitter. Right at the bottom of the description it says:

"This is splitter cable. You can only connect one input device (i.e. DVD player,cable box or satellite receiver) to two output device(i.e. TV or projector).You can't connect two input device (i.e. DVD player,cable box or satellite receiver) to one output device(i.e. TV or projector)"

A quick searched turned up this:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/40-814.html

Not too expensive. Judging by the description/specs it should work fine with no degradation, although I can't personally vouch for it.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Oh. Crud. Good catch dave, thanks.

So this thing does essential the opposite of what I wanted? Lets me plug One device into two different outputs?

Does a splitter like I thought this was exist? One that flows the OTHER way? I am not in the market for a switchbox. I really just want to make one connection into two. I'm going to be in the market for a new receiver kind of soon, but in the meantime just need something to "hold me over."

Worst comes to worst, I can just change the darn cables depending on what I am doing. Is that bad to do though? What is in more danger of wearing out in that case, the input plugs on the TV itself or the connections on the cable?

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
That looks alot better, and powered is always better right? Plus it is remote controlled so... I can add it to my Harmony. That'd be Handy. This might work... thanks!

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
I think I am going to get that. But I need a set of cables to go with it. I need recommendation on MonoPrices stadard vs Premium. Is it really better to go with Premium?

Right I only own one set of Component Cables and they were giving to me by Comcast when I got HD. So now of course they will go into the box and I will need a new feed going out. I don't know for sure, but the ones they gave me look 99% identical to these here at cablesforless. https://www.cablesforless.com/index....OD&ProdID=2037

It looks to me like the Standard Cables at cablesforless are of better quality than the standards at Monoprice. The connects look better. Am I right in that thinking?

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Adam, what you want doesn't exist. You would be essentially connecting the output stage of each device to each other, bad news. A switcher is what you want.

The switcher David listed looks tons nicer than the one I listed. IR control is a big plus. However, there's no bandwidth rating so performance with HD is a bit of an unknown. Maybe contact them & ask? If it doesn't work out, they are pretty good about returns from what I understand.

I use Blue Jeans for cables. Quality materials & quality construction. Once again Mono has a good rep, so if the price is acceptable to you, give them a shot.

-Dave

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Blue Jeans is a bit more expensive compared to the other two places aren't they?

Thanks for the info about the other. I'm really looking into that switcher David Mentioned. Actually I'm looking into the option of a new Reciever instead, and I got my eye on an Onkyo TX-SR604 but am still trying to learn more about it on here and other places. It seemes to be exactly what I am looking for though. But if not, I'll give that MonoPrice switcher a go.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Does your cable box have an HDMI or DVI output and does your TV have one of these inputs? My HD box has a DVI output and I hook this up to the TV's HDMI via an adapter. Blue Jeans has a cable that will do this fairly cheaply (either DVI to HDMI or HDMI) and then you could use your TV's component input for your Wii. And you would not need the switcher gumming up the works. Just another suggestion, Adam.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
I recently got a new Cable Box from Comcast due to my DVR skipping alot and it does in fact have HDMI. (MY old one had DVI.) However the HDMI on my TV is in use, for my Upscaling DVD Player.

But in any case I got the Onkyo TX-SR604 yesterday (For $329!) so I am now all set on HD Plugs. 3 Component, 2 HDMI.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayGeezy