What's new

Producer says Inday 4 will not rely on CGI. (1 Viewer)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
From www.imdb.com

Producer Says 'Indy 4' Will Not Rely on CGI

Indiana Jones producer Frank Marshall is determined to shun the current trends in movie making - insisting the upcoming fourth installment of the hit franchise will avoid using computer effects. Frank is adamant the sequel to the hit Harrison Ford adventure franchise will retain the tradition of its classic forerunners by utilizing real stunt work instead of high-tech graphics, giving it the feel of a B-movie. He says, "We didn't have computer effects in those days, we couldn't easily erase things and I think one of the unfortunate by-products of the computer age is that it makes filmmakers lazy. You become more creative when you have to hide ramps with a tree rather than erase it later as you can today. In Raiders Of The Lost Ark, that's a real ball rolling behind him so Harrison really is in some danger running in front of that; these are real situations and that adds to the excitement and the creative energy on the set. When you start getting into computers you get fantastical situations like in The Matrix or movies like that. We don't want that, we want exciting heroism, we want seat-of-your-pants, skin-of-your-teeth action. We didn't have all the money in the world on the first films and we want to keep that B-movie feel. We want to make Indiana Jones 4 like we made the first three."

Well, if they do it like they say, this should be pretty good. I still am leary at the thought of Harrison's age, but of course, I'll be there. As long as they don't go overboard with the slapstick humor, such as Temple of Doom, or how they made Marcus and Indy's dad, and Sallah to a lesser extent.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Josh,

I'm with you. I thought that Last Crusade was not the movie it should have been and could have been because of the use of low quality cgi effects (at least I think they were cgi, maybe I'm wrong here). Of course, they were state of the art for their time, but that's not the point.

-Reagan

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Well I say a hearty BRAVO to this!

Still, it's not like these movies lend themselves to CGI like LOTR, SW or THE MATRIX.

Should be interesting to see how the tone and feel of the movie is different.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
What? No Indy jumping up into the air, freezing, and then kicking the bad guy 20 times before landing?! ;)

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
The one thing i'm not worried about is Ford's age.
The man can look 35 if he wanted to.

Hes been my favorite actor since my very first film 25 years ago.

This movie should be great. IMO the Trilogy kept getting better with each movie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A Lucasfilm production without CGI? It can't be done, I tell you! :D

You remember watching HF in action when you were only 2?

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Thank god! The last thing anyone needs is Indiana Jones engaging in a bunch of cheesy wire-fu. These movies may be fantasies but they're down-and-dirty, tough-guy fantasies. The truck chase from RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK is still the greatest action sequence ever put on film and it was done without CGI. Indy don't need computer effects! :emoji_thumbsup:

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I don't throw up my arms in frustration every time CGI is used, but I have to admit that this is a pleasant move. I pity the pour souls that don't like Indiana Jones. :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I think for this one though, they ought to have him basically he has stopped all field work and then something comes up that they convince him to go one more time. For that age bracket, it's definitely no problem, as he can easily look only 10 years older than Last Crusade.

Dustin, I think TOD was not quite as good as the others, but I don't bash it nearly as much as many here do. And in some ways LC is even better because of the Ford/Connery interplay, though Raiders is great too.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
Indy WILL use CGI. There's going to be CGI backlot in this film. It has become the standard for "historical" films to enhance shots and give them a more epic sweep. It was actually "Young Indy" which revolutionized it's use, and you can bet Lucas will push for it. So what we're talking about are "invisible effects"....

But it's still CG.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Here's an exerpt from Premiere magazine about Indy 4 from the principals. Here's the link:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=1444

Ford: I'm very pleased to be part of [the trilogy]. I was able to take it a lot more personally [than the Star Wars trilogy] because I was more central to the films. It was a wonderful experience, and that's why I'm so happy to do it again.

Spielberg: About three years ago, Harrison got kind of nostalgic for the character, and suggested that if we were interested in another one, he'd be interested, and I think that started the ball rolling.

Lucas: We're all getting pretty old. To be honest, I was reluctant to do [a fourth film], but it really had to do with those guys. Harrison and Steven said, "I really want to do another one."
Interesting. So it was Ford and Spielberg who were really pushing for Indy 4.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
This very good news.

The guy is right, look at the last two Star Wars movie, so many special effects that it drowns out anything redeeming about the characters.

Now tell me that Karen Allen will definitely be in it and I will be a happy Man.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No Todd, they weren't real. They also weren't CGI.;)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
There was a bit of morphing on Last Crusade when Donovan died. They talked about it on the Willow Dvd supplement. But it was used very sparse. I'm just a little more concerned with the actors being hoaky or dumb than CGI, which i figure there won't be as much of.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ah, so the film's barely begun pre-production and already they're lying to us?

I'm still not convinced we'll ever see this film.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

I think what Marshall meant is that there will still be a lot of live action stunt work and that chase scenes will not be made in front of a green screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks