What's new

Processors, Processors and more Processors! (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
As far as Nathan's gear goes, we have our answer:
power said:
Now why would you want to do that? It's artificial. It's not what the artist put into the recording. IMO, you're fooling yourself if you think that this would "sound better." :) And BTW, most rock music doesn't have any appreciable content below 40 Hz anyway.
------------------

NathanP

Supporting Actor
get some power dude!
I've been saving my pennies for a 7.1 reciever, no use getting 5.1 when there's 7.1! :)
You guys maybe wondering: Where the F*** does this kid get all his money?!?!?!?!
Well, as my profile indicates I'm a die-hard capitalist.. I make my money doing vaious business ventures like, Selling on Ebay (Sold quite a couple Cars), various other auctions/classifieds, down to mowing laws...
Well thats it.
Any other suggestions are appreciated..
Anyone want a pic of them speakers?
------------------
"Um, ER, uh, No, it's not a bedroom HT, I just love it so much, I sleep in it."
"Way to go Dallas!!!"

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
>Now why would you want to do that? It's artificial. It's >not what the artist put into the recording. IMO, you're >fooling yourself if you think that this would "sound >better." And BTW, most rock music doesn't have any >appreciable content below 40 Hz anyway.
Perhaps I am misinterpreting the tone of your comment but what sounds better to me is not subject to interpretation by you, thanks.
I would not presume to judge your views as "right" or "wrong" or "better" or "worse", and I would appreciate that you do the same for me. That is one of the tenets of participation on this forum, BTW.
Yes, most rock has no content below 40Hz, which is why devices like the UBP are useful. Recording and playback equipment back when some of these recordings were made was not normally capable of serious deep bass. Having played rock bass and guitar for better than 20 years, I personally feel that there may have been some deep (or at least deeper) bass present, but the gear of the day either could not record it, or play it, back or both.
When I go to a live rock show, the bass is loud, clean, and in fact can be felt as well as heard. That sensation does not exist with most rock recordings, even contemporary stuff. However, the UBP does help get closer, when used with capable equipment.
I learned of this product through others that post to this site, as well as other audio writers that I respect (Howard Ferstler, for example).
Lastly, you might note that I, unlike several others, have tried to share information with Nathan, rather than attack his lack or knowledge.
BL

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"2 Sony Towers, 2 Kenwood Towers $800 a speaker brand new, I'll get the model name later, to lazy to go upstairs and look.
Self-built Center Speaker with 2 mid-ranges and horn, same x-over as Sony's."
Nathan, no one is callin you a liar.
A lot of flashing lights, switches, and buttons will sure look cool in the rack, but it'll screw up your sound quicker than shit.
If I were you, I would invest in timbre matched speakers all the way around. If you have the coin, or you're saving some...figure out the pair you like best (Sonys or the Kenwoods). Check out the speker set and see if they have a voice matched center and rears. You'll get a ton of bang for your buck if you match up those drivers. Typically, these companies offer some decent electronics, but their speakers suffer a bit. Sony has some extreme gear ($10k+) but Kenwood isn't known for their speaker technology. Look at serious speaker manufacturers like B&W, Paradigm, Klipsch, etc....these guys build speakers ONLY, and do a damn fine job at it. Your money, IMO, would be best invested in quality speakers. Also, with your center channel being DIY....this may be another direction you could choose if you're handy with tools.
Second, your front end (receiver, pre/pro, amps) should be looked at BEFORE processing. Why not grab one of the new Denons or Onkyos. This will give you ample power for your new speakers...as well as some of the processing you're looking for.
Some ideas...and thanks for posting your equip list. It's easier to give suggestions if we know what you're working with.
jeremy

Luke_Y

Second Unit
NathanP,
Gregg, Based on some earlier posts I concluded about 15 which explains allot
------------------
Luke
Just wanted you to know that was not a slam. Looking at it on screen it kind of looks that way. I was pointing it out because the overwhelming majority of us here are older (likely your parents age).
I can tell by some of the replies you get that some people don't realize you are 15 or so. It may help to point out in your post once in a while that you are in fact a teenager. It would help people understand that your interests and priorities may be completely different than theirs. I don't have to tell you how hard it can be for an adult and teen to effectively communicate and reach common understanding. This can be exaggerated to the point of impossibility on the net if the adults don't realize they are talking to someone much younger than them.
You obviously came here seeking knowledge. There are many people here with ALOT of valuable input, try not to be so quick to dismiss it. If it's an outright slam just ignore it.
I don't have any advice that you are looking for on processors so maybe I shouldn't have posted anything. Please don't take any offense to this post. It wasn't meant to be negative in any way. Just trying to ease things for you a bit.
------------------
Luke

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Well Luke, I'm so badly offended, I've been crying all day!
biggrin.gif

j/k
I don't usually name my age becasue I can afford things most 15 year olds can't....
And when you say "I'm 15" Someone's gonna tell you to get a HTIB!
I hate those things!
[Edited last by NathanP on October 24, 2001 at 07:29 AM]

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Check out the speker set and see if they have a voice matched center and rears
About the center speaker,
I found one a few days ago that matched this system, I'll be purchasing it shortly.
Oh, yea..
I guess I won't be needing anymore processors or rack-fillers..
blush.gif

After I buy a new power conditioner and eq to make sure the fronts & rears are PERFECTLY tuned together (I can't tell a difference).
That's why I like DPL, it allows some eq'ing and tweaking, you can't do as much with DD 5.1.
Any other suggestions?
------------------
"Um, ER, uh, No, it's not a bedroom HT, I just love it so much, I sleep in it."
"Way to go Dallas!!!"

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
That's why I like DPL, it allows some eq'ing and tweaking, you can't do as much with DD 5.1.
Well I would like to comment that 5.1 sounds so damn good I wouldn't want to tweak it, and even if I could I wouldn't want to, or know how to tweak it. To me it sounds perfect!!!
But you can still EQ it if you were to run each channel into....... oh never mind, you don't want to do that.
You can EQ your Bass though, and like many here make your bass ultra flat!
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

NathanP

Supporting Actor
*ahem*
Bose?
Thats an insult! :)
I'mnot much of a critical listener, so I probably can't tell much of a diff between $700 speakers and $1,00 speakers.
What I have works for me and my small room.
You guys can't be so quick to judge speakers.
Can't tell a book by it's cover

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Nathan, I think Gregg is just pulling your chain :)
As long as your happy with your tower's that's all that matters!
But if they are older speakers they may not be capable of reproducing todays high digital frequencies, which you will find on Dolby Digital and dts 5.1.
But then again they may.
I think your very next upgrade should be a DD, dts receiver and work from there, you'll be surprised what a difference a new receiver will make!
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Nathan your logic escapes me. You like DPL because you can tweak it more than DD? That makes no sense. Once a signal is in the analog domain, you can do anything you want to mangle it with all those processors, it doesn't matter what the source is. Get a good receiver, then get some decent speakers. Drop all that other crap and give the true sound a chance to come out. Then if you want get some equalizers to tame your peaks and nulls.
DD is inherently superior than DPL, after all it has up to 5 full range channels, whereas DPL only has two, with two other channels being pulled from those. There's just no comparison between them. All the processing in the world is not going to make the DPL rear channels sound better than the DD's. The sound just isn't there, and you can't create it with a bunch of fancy boxes with blinking lights.

Zane Johnson

Agent
"Kenwood: JL-670"
"i hate liars"
Nathan i'm sorry but those are not 800 dollar a piece speakers...hypocrit!
rolleyes.gif

i have the JL-801 towers which are higher end then the 670's, and they were around 800 for the PAIR (10 years ago)!... i didn't buy them, they were a gift..
they are OK speakers, there no maggies, but there ok... :)
i personally think you should invest in a good amplifier... even a nice 2 channel...
remember...there is NO SUBSTITUTE FOR POWER

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
If you want the best sound possible, sell all of your gizmos and buy the best speakers you can afford. It may not look as cool, but do you want good sound, or cool flashing lights? If you just want flashing lights, well you're on the wrong forum.
You want to have as little as possible processing your signal - the proverbial straight wire with gain. That's why many people, myself included, run their receivers in 'source direct' mode, which bypasses everything in the receiver but amplification.
Re: the dbx 1-bx dynamic range expander. I had one of those ... in 1979! Two dials, one for threshold, one for gain. Single band, not very useful compared to the 3BX. There's no need for it today, the dynamic range of CD's is more than you need. I sold it at a garage sale for ten bucks about 8 years ago. How much did you pay for yours?

Charles Guajardo

Stunt Coordinator
quote: "Kenwood: JL-670"
"i hate liars"
Nathan i'm sorry but those are not 800 dollar a piece speakers...hypocrit!
rolleyes.gif
[/quote]
It sounds like Nathan was about 5 years old when those speakers were purchased. I doubt by him, unless he was mowing alot of yards at that age. Before attacking anyone on this forum, I would suggest knowing the facts. BTW, hypocrit [sic] is a person given to hypocrisy which is...
From Webster's Dictionary:
hypocrisy: The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess
I was going to bring up the fact that Nathan is only about 15 years old which may explain some of his responses. I'm not sure what explains other's in this thread.
Nathan, there is some good advice in this thread if you can wade through the crap and insults. Good luck.
[Edited last by Charles Guajardo on October 24, 2001 at 11:30 PM]

Zane Johnson

Agent
First i would like to say that i'm sorry, i didnt' mean to be so rude about it... and the whole hypocrit thing was to be half-way taken as a joke...althought Nathan did say earlier that he hated liars, yet he lies about the price of his speakers, i guess it all depends though.. maybe he was grossly overcharged for them and did actually pay 800 dollars a piece, i guess i shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks