What's new

Processors, Processors and more Processors! (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
I'm the kinda guy who likes to tweak and buy tons of different processors than one simple reciever..
I love to fill up that rack!
Can you guys suggest any processors to improve performance?
Got and getting these processors:
Dynamic Range expander
Nureality-VHT200 surround sound enhancer
Phase Coupled activator
Behringer Bass Processor
Equalizers
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Any others?
Nathan

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
Nathan-
you've been looking for processors, but you've also been asking about Fluance speakers, and you've been looking for ways to do things on the cheap.
i know this isn't why you started this thread, and I'm not trying to put you down or anything, but maybe you might want to save up a few hundred bucks and get a nice set of energys or PSBs, and maybe a more modern reciever.
I guess I'm saying that all the processors and tweaks in the world aren't going to compensate for inadequate gear.
I would just reccomend getting a good base system to grow on- it doesn't have to be expensive and you can constantly keep adding on to it.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
No, No, No..
The Reason I was looking for Fluance was for a friend of mine..
I have some VERY ($800 a piece new) expensive Sony and Kenwood towers..
I actually have a nice system..
I bet you have crap :) j/k
That kinda did sound like a putdown...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I would think that the more "processing" you add, the worse the sound will be. Or more specifically, the worse the noise level.
I'll second the previous suggestion. If you got a very nice receiver/pre-pro, you might find that you wouldn't need all that "processing"! :)
Plus, you do realize that by adding all the extra "processing," you are modifying the signal from what the original artists/producer/director intended.
But you have to judge for yourself what you like and what you don't like...
------------------

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Dernit..
Now I'm miffed!
The reason I want processors is to fill up my rack and to get the best sound possible!!
And this know-it-all here whos never seen my speakers say I should upgrade them!
Who said I had a crappy reciever?
I've been looking for an upgrade for my SECONDARY system!
angry.gif

Nathan

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
Nathan-
please calm down just a bit- I don't think I was acting very "know it all" at all; it certainly wasn't my intention.
I'm not familiar with what you have, but I see you post alot, and in general it seems like you're usually buying ultra-budget stuff on ebay- Case in point, you just recently posted a thread looking for help buying a sub, but you are confining your selections to the best ebay has to offer for under $60.
Again, I hope you don't think I'm being mean or rude or whatever but, i'll say it once more:
instead of "filling up the rack" with lots of nobs and lights to drive a $60 ebay sub, you will be better off buying less "junk" and saving up for an SVS.

Chris V

Grip
Real Name
chris
I have used some of BBE's products for live sound, in home audio, and in the studio. The sonic maximizer is great. They can of course cause overall degredation in sound quality, as can any kind of processing. However this dosent usually happen until you start to crank on the controls. When used with a little common sense, it can really help out, especially if u have an overly "dark" or "bright" room. (Acoustically speaking).
Theres my 2 cents...
P.S.
Of course these are not used in HT, just music and 2 channel setups

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Rob-
The $60 sub thing is for another system.
I'm really starting to get ticked..
Stop trying to start a fight!
Okay now back to the REAL subject.
I've got the nice speakers, the receiver/amplifer and I would like trying little things to enhance performance.
Whether while watching movie or listening to music.
The qustion is:
What processors/modules would any of you suggst to do that?
I still like filling up that rack though.
wink.gif

Nathan
------------------
"Um, ER, uh, No, it's not a bedroom HT, I just love it so much, I sleep in it."
"Way to go Dallas!!!"

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
How about a list of the gear that you are thinking about incorporating the sound processing into?
Room dimensions would help as well as the problems you're having in your room. By problems, I mean....sound reflections, room nodes, etc...that necessitate the need for room processing.
Are you looking for a new DAC for a specific transport, artificial processing for you receiver, equalizers, etc.
I think what folks here are trying to get to...is that processing isn't the sound the artist(s) intended. Whether it's a movie or an album, processing can add unnecessary "noise" to your audio. It can also improve your listening area if there are natural or man-made sonic problems.
Jeremy

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Jitter Reducer.. Cool, I might just look into that..
My HT's room 's (11x12) acoustics are great, so no need to upgrade there..
Can you believe, I still haven't gotton around to a power condtioner!
Right after I buy a new EQ for my rears, that'll be what I'm gonna get..
I may check up on a Sonic Maximizer..
That's the kinda stuff I need!
Nathan
------------------
"Um, ER, uh, No, it's not a bedroom HT, I just love it so much, I sleep in it."
"Way to go Dallas!!!"

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I have some VERY ($800 a piece new) expensive Sony and Kenwood towers..
These companies are not known for quality speakers, no matter how expensive they are. I don't think further "processing" will improve anything. Just my opinion of course, feel free to be "miffed"...
--
Holadem

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
And another Link Removed
------------------
Trevor..
Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

Tim_S

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan,
You shouldn't be miffed about the suggestions, but it might have helped if they had explained a bit more carefully. Here is the point.
The basic premise you seem to be operating under is that more processing of the signal will make it sound better.
The premise of most of the people replying (and the one I mostly agree with) is that except in very unusual circumstances a lot of extra eq'ing and processing HURTS the sound quality. Thus they were suggesting if you have money to burn, it might be better spent elsewhere (e.g. upgrading speakers, amp, pre-amp) as these are more likely to generate an improvement (even if you have $2000 speakers, $3000 amp and $2000 pre-amp, there will be better ones out there).
Beneficial processing usually takes the form of high quality DACS (look at the Perpetual Tech stuff, both their DAC and jitter reducer look quite good. Their processor that does jitter reduction also does some fancy speaker correction stuff that has seen good reviews.), power conditioners and that is about it. Otherwise, most people prefer as straight and smooth connection of source to DAC to amp to speakers with as little processing in between as possible.
Of course, if you disagree with that premise and like the processing, that's fine (your choice, your money) but you asked for suggestions. . .
Tim

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Have you guys actually listen to high end Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer, Kenwood speakers? They are actually sounds good.
Overpriced, definitely.
ps: the $800 Sony does NOT sound good, though. Nor does the Kenwoods. I've tried them myself. IMHO, as usual.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Nathan,
How do you KNOW your room acoustics are so great? Your room is nearly square which is an acoustic nightmare. If the acoustics are so great then why do you want a bunch of hokey boxes to change the sound? You received some very good advice early on in this thread and you chose to ignore it. Instead you want to fill your rack. It's not about filling the rack, it's about great sound. You can get much more improvement by upgrading equipment than you can by over-processing an inferior signal. As an FYI, I am not a novice or "enthusiast". I do custom installs of equipment that can run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks