Processor importance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnSC, Jan 14, 2002.

1. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

how much influence does a pre/pro have over end sound? I am going to purchase a ROTEL RMB-1075 to boost my Marantz SR-680 DD Reciever. I am wondering if I also upgraded to a better receiver would I be able to improve the sound again or would I simply be getting better features and only marginal sound improvement?

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Well let's see.

The processor is used for surround format decoding, bass management, time alignment, D/A conversions, sometimes A/D conversions, volume control and a host of other functions.

I'd say it's fairly important.

If I were to rank things, I'd say after the room and speakers, the processor is the critical item.

Regards,

3. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

Yep get the obvious point but the question is asking how well, features aside and generally speaking, a lower end reciever when coupled with a good power amp, compares with a higher end receiver coupled with the same amp.
    Apologies if the question was not that clear
    Cheers [​IMG]

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    A processor is important as others stated in this thread. A great Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) is a good thing to have and can improve a sound much more than others given the same variables. A preamp shouldn't add or remove anything to the sound, it should be transparent and allow for changes in volume and a switching device. CD players with variable outs can be hooked up directly to an amplifier, which some people do. So really, a preamp in itself should be transparent. Of course some preamps are A/V preamps which would include DPL (analog) and sometimes bass/treble/midrange kind of controls but for purity sake. The people who use tubes might think otherwise but then they would have different priorities than the goal of solid state users.
    Given your receiver question, given the same source since a receiver also has a tuner in it, i.e. the same FM station with the same signal strength or the same CD player with everything being identicle, probably not much, realistically. Whether you believe the internal wiring/components can affect the music between a cheap receiver and a "high end" receiver, I think the benefits of a high end receiver is the features and durability as well as a more accurate reproduction of the sound. Of course, there are always exceptions like a cheap receiver that is actually a great value. But given your constraints of ignoring the features, and ignoring the durability issues, a lower end receiver would not be that much a loss, within reason.
    Does that mean you should keep your cheap receiver and just get a good power amp? No, cause you have to look at the newer features and stuff of a high end receiver and make a decision based on the whole system.
    [​IMG]
    Jay

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Ahhh. Or it could have been the person reading the question as well [​IMG]
    Besides the DACs, you should be concerned with the volume control. If its digitally implemented you lose resolution on the DACs. If its analog implemented, you need a quality line stage for attenuation and gain.
    In either case, there are marked improvements available as you go up the price ladder. This is not to say you can't have an outstanding inexpensive product that outperforms its price.
    Regards,