What's new

processor advise needed (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm thinking of building a computer in the not too distant future. i intend to use a micro-atx case and mobo. i haven't fully decided on which mobo yet. as a reference, i intend to start with at least 512 mb of ram and a 40 gb 7200 rpm hd. i'm only adding 1 drive which is an nec nd-2500a 8x dual format dvd burner. i was looking at processors (amd vs. intel) and noticed that for the same price i can purchase an amd athlon xp 2800+ or an intel celeron 2.8 ghz. the celeron has 128k cache while the 2800+ has 512k cache. the amd is rated at 2.08 ghz though. so in this instance, which is better? 4x the cache or 700 more mhz? thanks in advance.

kevin t

Bob_Bo

Agent
I'd give the AMD a performance edge out of those 2 choices. I don't think it would be much though.

One other thing to consider is that AMD processors tend to run hotter than their Intel counterparts, which may be a concern when building a micro unit.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
The AMD rating of 2800+ is marketing speak for same as P4 2.8GHz. I believe technically the new P4's require slightly more heat dissipation than the AMD chips now, around 80W+. The extreme editions are over 100W.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely pick the amd. It's not as much the MHz as the architecture. The amd is meant to be processor to compete with the P4 which is a performance chip. The Celeron is a budget chip with a greatly inferior architecture when compared to either the P4 or amd. If those are the two options definitely get the amd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks