What's new

Proceed HPA3... what's it worth? (1 Viewer)

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,
Recently I posted a question regarding an upgrade I was considering ie, Bryston 9B vs Proceed AMP5. I really was dreaming about the HPA3 but logistically and financially couldn't make it happen. Well, the HT gods have decided to torment me once again and now I have a choice to make. With your guidance I can make my decision. My dealer has a Proceed HPA3 demo model for sale. It is 2 yrs old, comes with the 5 yr warranty. He wants $3k for it. He'll give me $1000 on my 3ch B&K amp (3yrs old, I paid $1700) so net to me is $2000 out of pocket for the HPA3 including the trade. What do you think about this offer? I would use the HPA3 for my mains and CC and use my Bryston 3B for the rears.
Thanks

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Paying $2k for an amp that is basically a few hundred under $5k is not a bad deal. If you had to sell it, you probably would not be out that much if anything at all. It also provides lots of power.

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
There was a guy over on the avsforum classifieds a week or two ago trying to sell his HPA3 and eventually walked it down to $2750 and I don't think he ever got any takers. He seemed a little, er, surprised by the lack of buyers.

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. I can't seem to find alot of "action" out there on this particular piece. What is the link for the avs forum? Anybody know?
Thanks

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
2500 would be a great price. BUT, you have to keep in mind, they are in limited availability used. I own the HPA-2 and AMP5, and love em. No desire to change a thing. They are worth a premium in my mind...
New, from a good dealer, expect to pay 3800-4000. They will discount these if your lucky. But that still puts you 800-1000 above your current deal at 2K difference. As brute like these things are built, don't hesitate to buy used.
Just be sure to eat your wheaties before you hoist it into your rack. At 100 pounds, transporting and installing is not to be taken lightly!
Lex
------------------
Lexman's Theater

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
Doug, Mark....
Thanks for the input. Now lemme ask a dumb question. I know this is SS and not tube gear but do I lose anything sonically by buying a well used store demo vs a brand new in the box?

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Donald, expect no loss in performance due to it being used. Think of it as being pre broke-in! These are the type amps that perform for year after year after year, ordinarily with no problems. I have had zero problems with both of mine, and my HPA-2 was production number 21. Cool huh?
Lex
------------------
Lexman's Theater

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
It's a done deal! I gotta do it. So I'll trade my B&K in plus $2000 and I'll pick up the HPA3 this weekend. Thanks for the input...........
Donald

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks