What's new

Proceed HPA2 or the Rotel 1090 (1 Viewer)

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
I am suprised that no one here compared the two
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I am not aware of that many dealers who carry the big Rotel. My friend who works part time at a high-end shop went to listen to one at the distrbutor and thought it was OK, but definitely had lots of power. He uses Bryston electronics and was considering the Rotel for more power to drive Thiel 2.3s. With electronics and amplifiers, a lot depends on what you are driving and of course the room. Some amplifiers just sound better with certain things (e.g speakers, preamps). I currently have an HPA3 on the front channels and have had a Bryston 4BST prior to that and a Rotel 993 (3x200) prior to that and a Rotel 985 Mk. II (5x100 that I used all 5 channels and then just 3 of the 5 for more power). I have heard most of the current Rotel line except for the big amp and while they are good values for the money and could sound better or worse with certain things, I don't think with a majority of combinations it will be close to an HPA. The best advice I would give before you buy a beast like either of those is to listen on your speakers (even if you have to tote them off to a store) with your favorite CDs. There is no substitute to your own ears, we all don't hear identically.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Like Phil said, I think that Bryston is a step up from Rotel and Proceed even a step up from Bryston. It all is a matter of how comfortable you feel in buying a used product, personally I don't have a problem with it.

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Thanks Phil and Rodney, I just bought the HPA2 for my two fronts. I have a 3801 as the processor and infinities reference series for the front L/R. I know its not the wisest upgrade but I had a chance to get an HPA2 for 40% off MSRP and I had to have it. The next upgrade would be the front speakers. Do you think with my current setup the Proceed would make that much of a difference?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Any good 2-channel amp will make a difference as the amps in a receiver share power supplies. The whole system will now sound more dynamic for movies and music. 40% off is not a great deal at all used. I expect the amp to be discontinued shortly. I bought a BPA3 for the rears (had a BPA2 but wanted to do 6.1 and sold the BPA2) and it was about a year old (my was over 2 yrs old) and about 45% to 50% (usually a bit closer to 45) of original retail which is roughly in the same ballpark as what I sold the BPA2 for. There is one on Audiogon now for $1,700 or best offer ($3,300 original retail). I remember the old (very old like me) Infinity Reference line of about 20 yrs. ago with the (about 6 ft.) tall speakers with the curved baffles. Are those what you have or these: http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...r=REF&Status=H
Remember that speakers are the last in the reproduction chain so that better stuff before it (e.g. amp, preamp, source components, cables) the better the sound will be. You may well find that you like what you hear and may want to get matching speakers for the other channels and sonically similar amps. Congratuations on purchasing a quality amp that has almost limitless power that can pretty much drive any speaker in any sized home listening environment. It gives you the flexibility to choose whatever speakers you like without having to be overconcerned about the speaker efficiency.

Users who are viewing this thread