Proceed Amp2/3 vs BPA-2/3: What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Does anybody know the differences between the 2 other than age and cosmetic differences?

2. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Mark, the specs on these are the same so I must be missing something. Are you saying the BPA-2/3s are better than the Amp 2/3s? Are there any madrigal users out there?

3. Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan Stunt Coordinator

Len, I recently traded up from an AMP2 for my main speakers to a HPA3 for my mains and center. I now use the AMP2 for my rears. The HPA has a little more power than the BPA, but the main reason I traded up was that the new amp made my system sound better. A little warmer, more discrete imaging and placement of instruments, all the things the dealer tells you will happen when you buy more expensive equipment! I use my system more for music than movies, and mainly classical music and opera, so for me it was worth the upgrade. My dealer, whom I trust, says that the Proceed BPAs and HPAs are better quality than the AMPs, and take advantage of newer designs. The bottom line is that the HPA sounded better to me than the AMP, so I bought it.
    Tom Fynan

4. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

No problem, Mat. I'm sure the HPAs are better. What speakers do you guys have paired with your proceed amps?

5. Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan Stunt Coordinator

Len,
    I have Magnepan 1.6s as my mains, and I just upgraded my rears from ancient, cheesey Yamahas to Maggie MGMC1s. They sound real sweet with the Proceed amps. I use a Proceed PAV/PDSD as my preamp, and a Proceed PMDT as my DVD and CD player. It's the perfect system, until I can afford to buy the real MarK Levinson stuff. [​IMG]
    Tom Fynan