What's new

Probs with My Pioneer VSX Receiver (1 Viewer)

Larry L

Agent
Hey everyone,
I tried to search for this topic but, obviously, didn't come up with much! Anyway, I'm having trouble with my Pioneer VSX 24TX receiver and wanted to see if anyone other VSX owners have experienced anything similar.
First of all, I have the unit hooked to a Hughes DirecTivo using S video and the Toslink connection for digital sound (as well as RCA for backup) and a Pionner DVD 434 which also uses S Video as well as Coaxial for digital sound. So far, I have had no problems with video, just audio.
The problem is that when I watch TV (live or recorded) using the DirecTivo I am able to get audio only when using the 2 Channel Stereo mode, that is, none of the DSP modes work (no sound whatsoever). The receiver indicates that the signal being received is digital (analog works as well). At first, I thought this problem was limited to the Tivo since the DVD sources worked fine (ie produced full 5.1 channel sound in multiple DSP modes). Now, however, I have a similar problem while playing DVD's. That is, I only get sound in either 2 Channel Stereo mode or in Standard DVD mode. However, in the latter, the AV dispay indicates that the audio being played is Dolby ProLogic, not 5.1 (despite selecting either DD 5.1 or DTS from the DVD setup menus). While playing a DVD, I get no sound when choosing any of the DSP modes including THX DVD.
So, what I first thought was a Tivo problem now appears to be a VSX problem. I admit that I have very little understanding of how all of this works, but it seems to me that the DSP within my receiver is simply not outputting any sound except 2 channel stero and Pro Logic (again, only when played in the Standard DVD mode).
I did some research and found some people having similar problems by checking out the reviews at www.audioreview.com. But, before, I take my receiver to a Pioneer service center (bought it online from Uncle's Stereo over 2 years ago) I wanted to find out if it is indeed a problem that requires such attention or if it's perhaps something in my setup that's causing this.
Sorry for the long and possibly confusing post, but any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Larry

Marlon

Agent
Real Name
Marlon
Larry, I have a Pioneer VSX-26TX receiver and I experienced similar problems. The receiver would indicate that Dolby Digital and DTS signals were received from my DVD player, but no sound was sent to my center or surround speakers (only to the fronts).

I carted it off to an authorized Pioneer service center (it's been 3 weeks and haven't gotten it back yet). I'll let you know if they were able to solve the problem.

Larry L

Agent
I actually spoke with a guy at the local Pioneer service center and he did indicate that the VSX line has had problems with DSP's needing replacement. My unit is over 2 years old so I may not be able to get this fixed under warranty but he suggested I speak with Pioneer to see if they'll do anything for me (assuming this is indeed the problem). He also said he could probably turn the thing around in 5 days or so at a cost of around $150 (again, assuming this is in fact what's wrong with the unit).

I too will keep you posted. Thanks for the feedback.

Larry

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Larry L.

I too had problems with my VSX-24TX reciever but my problems were to the bad board design that the 710,33,35 had with the IC chips having bad solder joints, which would cause the the DSP board to fail when the IC chips died. And by the way all the pioner model #'s start with VSX. It just was the Elite series had the most problem espically the VSX-24-29TX,33-35TX models were the worst one's for having problem. From what I have read and put together, the VSX-26,29TX were the worst for failing. Last year Pioneer had a recall on the 709 which in the regular series, and the 33,35 which are in the elite series, what end up happening was that they redesigned the whole board so that the IC's wouldnt fail anymore. I ended up just buying another reciever the VSX-35TX(one after the recall with the new improved DSP board) and like it alot more than the VSX-24TX which wasnt bad and was going to cost me about $400 to get fixed and a non authorized Pioneer service center. I hope this helps you out. Any more questions just ask.

Larry L

Agent
Mike,
Thanks for the info. While not the best news in the world, it is helpful to know that the problems I'm having aren't unique. And, yes, I have seen on another board that the problem seemed to have been related to the Elite series which we both have. When I spoke with the repair guy at my local Pioneer service center, he had heard of this problem and felt like it might only be a $135 to $150 fix and only about $50 to look at it.
If this is correct, I'll probably just get the thing repaired. I'm thinking anything over $250 though and I'm looking at getting something new. So, I guess I can start at least looking at other receivers for now ;)
Larry

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
I had the 26 with the problem board. The unit was two weeks out of the warranty but Pioneer said they would fix it anyway.

Brought my unit to a Pioneer service center. They knew right away what the problem was and ordered me a new board. The board was backordered so after 5 weeks Pioneer called and asked if I would take a new 36 in it's place. So I jumped at the chance. BUT this was backordered for two more weeks. But at least now I have a new unit.

If you were to have to pay to fix it yourself, I would go to the reviews of the 26 on Audioreview. There is one post there that calls out the badly soldered chips by number. The reviewer said he had the shop resolder these two chips and his unit now works fine.

TedO

Larry L

Agent
TedO,
Thanks for the info. I'll go back and check out the Audioreview info. Did you talk to Pioneer before going to the service center? I just called the service center directly. I'd like to get this covered by Pioneer but I'm about 3 months out of warranty and am not expecting them to do this for me. I'm thinking, though, that a call into Pioneer can't help. :)
Larry

Robin Casady

Agent
I've had similar problems with a 26TX. I couldn't find the invoice, but I think it has just gone out of warranty.
I bought a Denon 3802 and the 26 is now hooked to a Macintosh through the MD port and running two NHT 1.5 speakers. It seems to work if I don't turn it off. If I do it can take a very long time until sound comes out of it. Probably has to warm up the solder joints until they make contact.
If this were a car, there would have been a recall.:thumbsdown:
If you guys get good results from Pioneer, I might have something done about it. I would be an improvement to my bedroom HT.

Marlon

Agent
Real Name
Marlon
I'm surprise you guys even got to speak to someone at Pioneer. When i tried calling, all I could get was a referral to the service center (via an automated voice, of course).

Do you think that all Pioneer service centers are aware of the problem? Now I'm kinda worried if my receiver is repairable...

Marlon

Agent
Real Name
Marlon
OK folks, I got the receiver back. Apparently IC9374 had to be soldered. I haven't tried it out yet but hopefully my issue has been fixed.

Later.

Larry L

Agent
Well, I took my unit in to the local Pioneer service center two days ago. The guy was somewhat familiar with the problem but he claims that what he's seen requires replacement of the DSP not resoldering anything. I'm thinking I'll forward him the link at audioreview that has all of that information. Anyway, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed at this point. One of the first things the guy said was, "I see that this unit is 29 months old, no longer under warranty, huh?". Great! If this costs me more than $250, hello Denon!!

Larry

Robin Casady

Agent
One of the first things the guy said was, "I see that this unit is 29 months old, no longer under warranty, huh?". Great! If this costs me more than $250, hello Denon!!
That's the route I went. I got a Denon 3802.

My 26TX is probably 26 months old. Right now it is powering speakers for a Macintosh. However, if it could be fixed for a reasonable price it would be a good upgrade for my bedroom system. So, I'd be interested to know what it cost to repair yours, and whether it stays repaired.

Larry L

Agent
Well, my Pioneer service center called today and told me my problem was a bad DSP chip. He said it will cost about $125 to fix and, since they have this part in stock, about a day to finish! I'm hoping he got it right. If so, I guess I'll fee pretty fortunate (although I was secretly getting excited about upgrading to a HK or Denon ;)
When I get the unit back, I'll report on the fix!
Larry

Robin Casady

Agent
When I get the unit back, I'll report on the fix!
Thanks. It will be interesting to see if the fix holds. If they redesigned the board to fix it, Pioneer seems to know the cause, but don't seem to be dealing with it at the service level. If a bad solder job or bad board design is the cause of the chip failing, you may not get a lot of mileage out of the $125 fix. Do they guarantee the repair for any length of time?

Larry L

Agent
Robin,

Good point. I'll have to ask the tech that same question. I'll be picking the unit up this evening and put it through its paces tonight. I hope this is more than just a temporary fix. I do recall the guy at the shop telling me that they do guarantee their labor and new parts but I don't recall for how long. It is an authorized service center so I'm assuming the work will good and warranted for a suitable period of time. We'll see!

Larry

Larry L

Agent
Well, I got the unit back on Thursday. Again, the guy at the shop said it was a bad DSP chip. I asked him what could cause it to fail and he sited all kinds of things, much of which I frankly didn't understand. Never-the-less, I eagerly went home to check it out.
Everything worked fine.....for a bit. It worked fine that night. I put it through the paces (played some DVD's in DTS and DD 5.1 in multiple DSP modes, connected it to the Tivo, etc.) and it was all good. Hell, I even got a DD5.1 signal from my DirecTivo box
;)
Didn't really do much Friday or most of Saturday as I was out of town but when I got back tonight (Saturday) everything was still working. I was watching a movie on Starz which was not presented in DD5.1 so I figured I'd change the DSP mode over to 5-D Theater which is how I normally listen to stuff on TV. As soon as I switched the sound died. Totally dead. Even worse than before it got fixed. Before, I was at least able to get the unit to pass plain old analog signals. Now, absolutely nothing. Not in DVD, not the Tivo, not even the radio tuner. Hell, I couldn't even get any sound when I ran the speaker test signal check in the System Setup mode. What a freakin' bummer! I had a long two days and I was really looking forward to watching some movies tonight. I don't even have the energy to reconnect everything directly to my TV.
Obviously, there's another trip planned to the not so conveniently located service center (whose hours are 9 to 5 M - F, also not so convenient). If I weren't so mentally exhausted, I'd probably be throwing stuff right now.
For a brief moment, I thought I was in good shape, but the saga continues.
Larry

Robin Casady

Agent
I figured I'd change the DSP mode over to 5-D Theater which is how I normally listen to stuff on TV. As soon as I switched the sound died. Totally dead.
Darn. That's what I was afraid of. You are not the first to have that happen.
Well, my new Denon 3802 is doing fine. :)
The VSX-26TX is connected to my Macintosh computer and powering a couple NHT 1.5's. I guess it will stay there. If I leave it on STEREO and don't turn it off, it seems to work. If I power it off I have to wait 5min. to 5 hours to get the sound back. I was hoping it could be fixed and move to the bedroom to replace an ancient Sony.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I had a 26TX with the bad DSP problem (out of warranty of course). I elected to sell it (problems noted honestly to the buyer) and purchase a Marantz model. I wouldn't even consider another Elite, the problems were simply too widespread. I did like the receiver though. It sounded good, looked great, and had a really good remote.

Pete

Larry L

Agent
Well, I'll take it back to the service center and let them take another crack at it but I'm definitely not investing another penny in the thing. If these things truly are irreperable (sp?) then Pioneer ought to take some responsibility for this. Certainly will be the last time I invest my money in their products.

As much as getting a new receiver sounds like a cool idea, I really don't need to be spending that kind of money now, especially since the one I have is only a few months out of warranty. So much for getting that new widescreen TV.

Robin Casady

Agent
From previous posts it sounds like resoldering certain connections might fix it. Or, a redesigned board needs to be used.

You might tell them that this problem is turning the Pioneer name into mud on the internet. They really need to do a free recall on the faulty receivers. This is not the kind of support you expect from an "elite" product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks