1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with XP2200+ system Help guys.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleS, Sep 16, 2002.

1. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

K so I normally consider myself an extremely knowledgeable system builder with over a couple hundred under my belt but this XP2200+ system has me stumped with small problems. Everything installs and works fine but I am running into multiple problems when playing quite a few games. Here is the system.
    AMD XP2200+ OEM
    Cooler Master 001 Copper heatsink & fan
    ASUS A7V333-R (motherboard)
    DDR512MB PC2700 (Samsung brand)
    MSI Gforce4 Ti4400 128mb
    Maxtor 40GB HD
    modem, network, sound on the motherboard.
    Windows XP Pro
    Enlight Mid-ATX case with 340watt power supply.
    Just 1 other CD-R drive besides the HD
    The games that I am having issues with
    Starcraft
    WarCraft II
    WarCraft III
    Grand Theft Auto
    When playing most of these games they will either lock up or (especially in Warcraft III) it will just quit the game instantly. I have reloaded all the drivers and even just downloaded the video card driver from Nvidia but no fix. Has anyone else experienced the lockups or games crashing using AMD chips?
    I have also replaced the RAM & video card (Gforce3) thinking they could be the problem but nope. Could the chip be bad or have got too hot and is now fried a little? What about the motherboard the same with getting too hot in the case. I have checked the BIOS and it says the CPU is running between 40 and 52 degrees Celsius (only above 45 with the case sides on and inserted in a holder underneath the computer cabinet. I am stumped and havnt run into this issue before and have tried everything that I can think of. HELP [​IMG]
    KyleS

2. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    You have probably already thought of this but, have you updated the Video Card and Mobo BIOS? Via Chipset 4in1 drivers?

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Yep sure did... Anything else [​IMG]
    KyleS

4. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

I would try different memory settings. Try disabling interleaving, reducing aggressive timings, etc.

I'd also try updating the BIOS and a different power supply.

5. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I would try disabling sound in the games, see if that helps. Could be sound card issues.

Also, try playing the games using software rendering (as opposed to D3D or OpenGL acceleration). Might indicate a video card problem.

Jeff

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I believe that it is the RAM though it would be weird to have 2 bad sticks..... I am also having random (though small) amounts of physical memory dumps. (last thing I can think of that it could be is possibly the Chip if the RAM doesnt fix it with another stick.

KyleS