Problems with Xbox DD playback...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Price, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

I just picked up an Xbox last night (woohoo!), along with the Hi-Def AV Pack. Got home, hooked everything up, set the Xbox to DD and DTS playback and popped in Halo. The first thing I noticed was that there was no sound at all, and my receiver (Yamaha 2095) was rapidly flipping back and forth between Pro-Logic and DD, as if it couldn't lock onto a signal type. Occasionaly, my speakers would spit out a sound for a split second (like a cd skipping), but that's all. If I turn off DD and DTS, but still use the optical connection, it works fine.

Anyone seen this before, or know what might be causing it? I know the optical cable is good because it's the same one I use for my satellite dish (plus, it works for stereo sound). The only other thing I can think of is the AV Pack itself, which I might go exchange. But, wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something first...

2. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Go into the Xbox Dashboard and in the audio section make sure that Dolby Surround, DD 5.1 and DTS are all selected and enabled. Hopefully, it's just a setting issue.

Gary

3. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Chances are, its a defective Xbox (or a defective A/V pack).

4. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Gary C-

All that was enabled, which is what started the problem in the first place. Disabling allowed it to work properly in stereo mode.

Gary K-

Ack! Not what I really want to hear. Hopefully, it's just the AV pack...

5. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Well, since you picked it up last night, you should just be able to exchange it. A couple of Xboxen have been known to have problems with DD sound.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    You aren't, by any chance, using a splitter on the optical cable connected to your receiver/processor? I have seen this exact occurance when my X-box is hooked up to my DD processor (Parasound P/DD 1500). Because I am using a splitter to share the toslink connector with a DishNetwork 501 receiver, there is a software problem with the 501 in that it's always emitting a digital signal (red light can be seen at the cable end) such that it interfers with my processor and the effect is that my processor will sit there and autodetect the DD bitstream versus the PCM data from the dish and switch rapidly. I have to physically disconnect the Dish optical cable to get my processor to lock on the X-box.

Just a thought,

Jay

7. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Well, it looks like I have a defective Xbox. [​IMG] Went and picked up another AV pack and optical cable, hooked it up, and had the same problem. Tried a different optical input on the receiver, too, and no luck. Looks like I have to go exchange it now and lose all my saved data. Ah well, at least I can exchange it...
    Jay-
    I have the Xbox connected directly to the receiver via optical cable (no splitter). Thanks for the thought, though...

8. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

Jason...you dont have to lose that data! get a memory card or 2 and transfer your saved games to them! hope i got this message to you in time!

9. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Well, looks like it was a bad console. Went and exchanged it today, and the new one works perfectly... [​IMG]
    Andrew-
    I did consider that, but decided it wasn't worth the money to save a couple days worth of data. I'll just start over again...

10. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Interesting.

I had been playing with out the Hi-Def connections and digital cable since I received my X-Box.

I just recently picked up a set of Monster component cables as well as the digital cable.

My receiver would not go into DD mode. Only prologic.

Going back into the Dashboard I could then see that the DD and DTS had to be activated. ( I just did this after reading this thread)

Prior to owning the HD acessories and entering the dashboard area ,,these options never even existed.

This also goes for the Hi-def progressive settings.

480p and 1080p had to be activated. Prior these options were not to be seen.

Not seeing these prior, I was unaware that they were avaialabe to activate the digital and progressive features.

All is well now.

Thanks,

11. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary

12. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

NFL 2k2 uses the center channel for commentary.

13. Chad Beaudin

Chad Beaudin Agent

Jason, I had the same problem on my XBOX. Got DD sound but it was all static and garbled. Sounded horrible. Anyway, returned it and got a replacement and fixed everything up.

14. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary

15. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Gary, the audio quality of the commentary is a bit poor in that game. I mentioned it in another thread about the game in the software section. It does help somewhat to turn the sound effects & crowd level down, and the commentary level all the way up, but it will still sound distorted and muffled.

-Dan

16. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Dan,

Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to wonder if I had one of those units with a bad sound chip (due to the lack of center channel in almost every game), but it appears that everything is okay after all.

Gary