Problems with wireless router and one way cable modem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Benson R, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I recently setup a wireless network using a belkin router. I have a one way cable modem service and the modem is programmed to disconnect after 2 hours of inactivity. To reconnect you have to use IE to access the modem and manually tell it to connect. Since I added the router I am unable to access the modem to do this. Even if I use a switch to connect the modem directly to both the main pc and the router I still cannot access the modem operating system in IE. I have to manually reconnect the modem to my pc everytime. Not only is this a pain, but I want to be able to use the downstairs computer that is wirelessly connected without first having to turn on the upstairs pc and connect. Is there anyway to fix this problem, or maybe a way to have the router trick the modem into thinking the connection is active even when no one else is using it. Right now I have been keeping my main pc on day and night.

2. Benson R

Perhaps if no one happens to know a solution they at least know why the router would prevent me from accessing the modem's setup page. Also, in case there is any confusion what I mean by the setup page, is the page you get by entering the address 192.168.100.1 in IE.

3. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Could be the Belkin doesn't support one-way cable modems?

This modem is downstream and you have to use dial-up for upstream right?

What model is the belkin?

4. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

I think you may be hooped using a hardware router they way you hope to. The router trick sounds like all you can do.

Read this:

Practically Networked, One-Way or Telco Returns

I think you are in this boat by the way they describe the situation. It sounds similar to what you've been say. Sounds like you need to use ICS or Proxy software instead.

5. Benson R

Thanks for the replies. I only mentioned that I use a one way service because I wanted to make it clear why I had to be able to access the modems internal settings. The phone modem is incorporated into the cable modem itself. The computer or router should see it no differently than any other modem. The modem is also capable of establishing a connection by itself just like any other cable modem. However the cable company seems to have disabled that so that the customer is not wasting bandwidth when the modem is not in use. The way it is setup now I have to be able to access the modem operating system in IE and tell it to connect. With the router in between the modem and the computer I seem to be unable to bring up the settings page.

6. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Hmmmm, weird. I'm thinking that your pc may be on a different network than the modem address. With the router in place, can you access the 'Net?

What does the router configure your computer ip and subnet mask?

type ipconfig /all in a dos box.

Is your pc on a 192.168.100.x network?

7. Benson R

I can access the net just fine, its just that I can't access the modem page by entering 192.168.100.1. I can access the router configuration page which is 192.168.2.1. My computer's ip address comes up as 192.168.2.26 and my subnet gateway as 255.255.255.0.

8. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

I'm no networking guru. Not even a networking wannabe.

I think your problem is with the network mask you've applied.

Basically 255.255.255.0 states that you are on a class C network and the first 3 octets 192.168.2 represent your netid.

The .1 is the host id. Meaning you can configure up to 254 computers on your network.

Here's the problem. The modem is hanging out at a different address 192.168.100 and your pc doesn't know how to talk to it there (for the access page).

Change you pc's network address to 192.168.100.x and I *think* you'll be okay. Or at the router if it configured as a DHCP server and is handing out the ip's.

Or change your subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and you'll move to a class B network where the last two octets create your host id then I *think* you'll be able to talk to your modem again.

See if either of those work.

If I've mucked up terminology someone will quickly correct me. Remember I have a limited understanding of networking and it's mostly worked out in binary as I understand it(with bitwise and'ing and or'ing (and I hate that stuff)).
    [​IMG]

9. Benson R

Thanks for the help Gordon, but I still cant get it to work. The router is acting as a dhcp server so I tried changing the subnet mask as you suggested. Whenever I try to change the 3rd field from 255 to 0 and hit apply changes the box goes right back to 255. I sent an email to Belkin's tech support, so hopefully they will be able to help me. In the meantime any other suggestions would be helpful if anyone has any. Thanks

10. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Dang, well I tried.

Did you try setting your router to a different network

192.168.100.x
    and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 ?

and serve ip's beween 192.168.100.2 and 192.168.100.254?

I'm out of ideas. Sorry I couldn't be more help

[​IMG]