Problems with web pages and javascript and IE.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Vlad D, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Ok, I just bought a new hard drive and did a full intall of Windows XP this past weekend, and did all the critical updates. Now I noticed that any webpages that I view, using IE, that has a link which opens up javascript, the link doesn't work. If I click on the link I get nothing. If I right click and open in a new window, I get "this page cannot be displayed." I also installed the Java 2 Runtime Enviroment and it still doesn't work.

Anyone have any ideas.

2. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Bump.

Anyone?

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    First of all, Java has nothing to do with Javascript, so installing Java will not help you anyway. Secondly, check your settings whether Javascript is disabled. And thirdly, try a different browser to see whether it works there.

-Christian

4. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Thanks Christian.

I didn't know if there was any relation between Java and javascript but a friend told my to try and see if that was the problem.

Anyway I installed Mozilla and I get the same problem with it. I checked my internet settings for IE and under the Advance tab I couldn't find any setting to disable or enable javascript. I also compared my settings for IE to the IE settings on my wife's laptop and they are identical. No problems with IE on her laptop.

Here is a link to one of the webpages I'm having a problem with. Link When I click on the Canon EOS logo nothing happens.

I also noticed that on Google I can't open the sponsored links; also occurs with Mozilla.

BTW, I'm running Norton Internet Security Pro 2004. Could this be a firewall issue?

Vlad

5. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

I had the same problem with Norton though with WinME. It turned out it was the ad blocker that was running with Norton. I ended up turning off the ad-blocker, cleared the cache, and it worked fine.

6. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    David you are the man! [​IMG]

Did just like you said and everything works fine now.

Thanks

Vlad

7. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Super. Last summer, the kids were wanting to do the Jigzone puzzles and I could do it on my computer and at the grandparents where they got hooked, but on the second home computer they couldn't get the java encoded stuff to work.

It took me days of playing around with stuff to figure it out. I figured it was the Norton, but when I just turned Norton off and didn't clear the Internet memory it never worked. I tried Mozilla and Opera and .... frustrating was the correct term.