1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with VR509 remote

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Quincy, Jan 28, 2002.

1. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

I recently noticed that the batteries were running low on my remote (no LCD lightup anymore and the blinking battery indicator icon). I replced the batteries within 30 sec (you have up to 10 minuted to retain program settings), but the LCD still does not have a backlight and the battery indicator is still blinking. Anyone have this issue?

On a side note, I am only able to get one Macro to program right, I get it to turn on the receiver, the TV and the the VCR with no problem. But If I try to program another macro, the TV fails to turn on, or something else fails like the F-Shift Button. Any ideas on this one either?

If not, I am going to call Kenwood when I have more time tomorrow.

Thanks,

John

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I'm not sure about the macro problem.....I still haven't gotten around to fooling with macros on my system.

But I've had the battery problem before. I have the VR-4080...last years model, but the remote is basically the same. The first time my batteries ran low, I changed them out and the indicator still flashed and the backlight wouldn't light.

To tell you the honest truth, I'm not sure exactly what I did to fix it, but I took the batteries out a few times and put them back in (same batteries) and eventually, it reset itself and worked fine (kept all programmed info). I haven't had a problem since.

3. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

Funny thing--I just replaced my batteries a couple of days ago in my VR-509 and last night after turning off the lights to watch TV, I noticed that the LCD light didn't work. The battery light wasn't flashing though. It was no big deal to me, because I usually have some light when watching TV. I did go home for lunch today and removed the batteries and put the same ones back in. The light is now back on[​IMG]

4. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

I am going to try reseating my batteries tonight.

Thanks,

John

5. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Thanks guys, it works now. Now I have to write an email to Kenwood to tell them how lame this is. [​IMG]

6. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

It is kind of weird. But I haven't had another problem, and it's been about a year since I replaced my batteries.

7. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

I can't expain it either.

Did you get the macro to work? I haven't tried my macros yet. I hope to set some this weekend. I'll let you know how I make out.

How does the RF function work for you (or any other VR-509/10 owners)? Mine doesn't seem to work at all. I have the receiver on an open bottom shelf with the RF antenna running up the back left wooden post. I have tried both frequency channel with no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John

8. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

John_E,

I have the VR509 and I am having no problem with the RF remote. I can get it to work in a different room although I am not sure why someone would want to do this. I get quite upset when someone "hides" my remote.

In my case I have the receiver on the top rack (gets the most air) and the RF antenna is actually slightly above both the rack and the receiver. It won't be easy but I suggest raising your receiver to get the RF antenna to work properly.

I also had no problem creating macros. I did have to reread that section in the manual a few times but I was able catch on pretty quickly once I tried programming a couple. So far the remote works with all my equipment and I have had no other problems (knock on wood).

Chris

9. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Chris. I'll try moving that antenna around and see how it works. The only reason I want it to work is so that I can control the volume when I'm out side listening to the "B" speakers out on the deck. Being in Buffalo, I won't have to worry about that for a couple more months.
    I'm sure that I'll be able to work the macros. I just haven't tried yet. I love the remote. I control the cable box, DVD, VCR, and CD with it with no problems. My wife even understands how to use it. [​IMG]

10. Tony Richardson

John_E

I was having trouble with the rf remote to. I changed the rf channel to (2) on the receiver and left the remote on channel (1) and it works perfectly now, go figure.