Problems with VGA to HDTV converter

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Nathan A, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

I'm trying to run an RCA VHDC-300 VGA to HDTV Component adapter on a Sony XBR 36" TV. The adapter works perfectly on HD monitors I've tested it on, but on the TV it has issues. The signal from the computer displays fine through the post screen, but as soon as the Windows boot screen comes up I get a scrambled signal and cannot adjust it clean.

I've tried multiple resolutions from 640x480x60hz to 1024x768. The computer is running Windows XP with an ATI Radeon 7500 64mb video card. I've tried the adapter on my laptop also which uses a Radeon 7500 Mobility and the same thing happens. Running S-Video from the laptop to the TV displays a perfect 1024x768 image. I would do the same with the big computer but the S-Video signal is pretty fuzzy on text. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Nathan,

you need to feed the XBR a resolution/refresh rate it can handle. download the trial version of powerstrip, and use it to set your display to a DTV/HDTV-compatible resoltion and the XBR should sync up.

3. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

Thanks for the help so far. Here's an update on where I am now....

I've got a picture up on the XBR but I can't get it to sync quite right. The desktop is way off center.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

use powerstrip =)

it will allow you to resize/reposition your desktop

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Use powerstrip. Start wth 720p or 1080i preset (if your video card will accept them) and tweak from there.

-V