Problems with UNBREAKABLE on my Panasonic RP91

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GlennH, Jul 24, 2001.

1. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Well, I have a new Panny RP91 for over a month now and I like it very much. I've played plenty of discs and haven't seen any real problems. Until tonight.
    I borrowed a copy of Unbreakable from a friend at work. He never said a word about having any problems with it (he has a Sony player, I don't know what model) and I know he viewed it more than once.
    So I'm watching it on the RP91 and I start to notice a couple fleeting pixelizations. Hmm. No big deal, probably a little dust or smudge on the disc. Then it happened a couple more times. Well, eventually it got worse right around the climactic scenes in Chapter 23. Major pixelizing and black screen freezes for several seconds. I'm figuring at this point that there must be something bad on this disc so I go to examine it and amazingly, I can't eject it! When I try to hit eject the player and onscreen display tell me "LOCKED" and "Tray is locked." Huh? So I try to power off and I can't! Same messages. Finally I just unplugged and that reset everything. (Looking at the manual, it appears that the only thing "LOCKED" could refer to is the parental lock, but the player was set to 8, play all discs.)
    I took the disc out and it didn't look bad at all. Wiped it off and tried again. This time I tried to skip through the disc by chapter but ran into problems around the same area. The thing just stopped again. But this time "eject" worked.
    Now I took the disc to my second player/TV, a Philips-Magnavox 825, where it played those scenes flawlessly and I completed watching the movie. I just tried it on my DVD-ROM and it's okay here too.
    So it looks like the RP91 is the only one having any problem with this disc.
    RP91 owners, have you seen any problems with Unbreakable? Another friend at work also has this disc, so I may try to borrow his to see if the same problems exist. I'm at a loss.
    I hate to see that the brand new Panasonic can't play a disc that the older players will. What a letdown. I sure hope it doesn't start happening on other discs.

2. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

3. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I would recommend trying another copy of unbreakable. I had a similar problem with a rented Blockbuster copy of Castaway. I literally couldn't finish the movie. I took it back and told them the disc was defective. They replied no problem and gave me a new one and entered in the computer that the first disc they rented me was defective. I had no problem with the replacement one.
    BTW this was on the release date of Castaway, so I was the first person to rent either disc.
    Jon

4. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

I had no difficulty watching Unbreakable on the Panasonic 91.
    Henry
    ------------------

5. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    No problems with my copy of Unbreakable and my RP91 either.
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

6. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

7. Ben K

Ben K Auditioning

I had a similar experience with my rp91 when I was watching Cliffhanger. For the first part of the movie I would see random pixelations and sometimes it would get so bad the player would freeze with a black screen. I was able to eject it no problem though. The disc wasnt scratched or dirty either. I did notice that each time I would replay the affected scenes it would get better each time. Like the player was adapting to it or something. I'm very happy with the player otherwise but it worries me that none of my three older players had ANY kind of problems with any dvd's I fed into it.

8. Bob Lewis

Bob Lewis Auditioning

The exact thing happened to me yesterday while watching
    "Unbreakable" on the RP-91. The same initial pixelizatins, some drop-outs from the soundtrack then the picture froze. However; mine didn't lock up entirely. I was able to stop the movie and go back to the start of that chapter only to have it happen again. I finished watching the movie on my Toshiba 6200 where I had no trouble.
    I prefer the picture of the RP-91 over the Tosh. I thought the Tosh's picture was great until I saw the Panasonic's picture. It just looks more lifelike. I wish the '91 had a remote like the Tosh's though. Maybe, it's just my big, clumsy fingers but the toggle button on the '91's remote drives me crazy. I watched "Thirteen Days" afterwards on the 91, and noticed 1 brief pixelization but it played the rest of the disc flawlessly.
    BTW, does anybody remember the button-pushing sequence on the RP91 to correct overscan? My picture is just very slightly off-center but hardly distracting.

9. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

I had no problems with Unbreabable. However, my copy of Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, an anime movie, did the exact same thing with pixellization and then freezing.
    I also had a problem during Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon where the player got confused(?) and kept the same set of subtitles up for a whole scene. When I re-wound the scene and played it again it was fine, but it was definately weird when it happened.
    These are the only two issues I've experienced to date and I didn't experience either problem with my older, Sony player....
    I'm wondering if maybe a firmware update is in order?
    -Alan

10. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    If we can pin down or find any consistency to these problems and convince Panasonic, maybe a firmware upgrade would be in order.
    I haven't had a Panasonic before. How do they handle firmware upgrades?
    I think I remember reading somewhere that the RP91 would be ROM upgradeable by the user with a disc. My Philips is like that. A much better idea than having to physically send the player away or take it somewhere. But it's not clear how Panasonic would provide the updates.

11. Eric J

Eric J Auditioning

I had very similar problems with a Panasonic RV-31. I think that the new Panasonic players are far more sensitive to DVD impurfications than other players are. I wonder if the RV-31 and the RP-91 share the same optical pickup assembly?
    Check out the problems I had with Unbreakable and the RV-31.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum14/HTML/041207.html
    Eric Johnson

12. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

13. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

14. Bob Lewis

Bob Lewis Auditioning

Thanks, Dan. I really appreciate that information. I love this forum!
    Canada, huh? That sounds good. It's so hot here today, all I can do is stay inside under the AC and watch movies... Oh, well.

15. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

16. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Just to follow up on my original post:
    I borrowed a second copy of UNBREAKABLE and checked it out last night. It played flawlessly on the RP91. I didn't play the entire movie but watched from Chapter 23 to the end, where all the big problems began on the previous copy.
    So, what's the conclusion? Well, obviously there is something about that specific first disc that the RP91 didn't like, even though other players didn't have a problem with it. Apparently the RP91 is less forgiving of whatever the imperfection on that disc was. Examinining it, all I could really see was an ever-so-minor scratch near the hub hole area. I mean, you really had to look at it hard to even see it. But who knows, maybe it was enough to throw the RP91 in to a tailspin.

17. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

18. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

I had problems with this disc on the Zenith 2300. It froze up on the early scenes with Bruce Willis in the train. I cleaned the disc and still had problems. I then used a CD-Rom cleaning disc in the player. I restarted the disc and it played flawlessly.