What's new

Problems with Tron: SE? (1 Viewer)

Michael Moulton

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, this is really annoying... for me, all DVDs seemed to work great with my PS2 until 2002 started-- now, both of the big new releases I've picked up have had problems!

Tron: SE does some really odd things at about the 38:20 mark. All of a sudden, the screen turns green and blocky, audio continues fine. From this point on, everything on the DVD is this way until I power cycle the player. If I scan past the point of trouble, or just start at Chapter 9, it's fine. I tried it on another player and it was fine there as well.

Is anyone else having problems with this? Best Buy is going to hate me if I have to exchange it-- I already swapped it today b/c I got a broken case.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
This is a problem with the PS2 DVD drivers. Upgrade the drivers by purchasing the Sony DVD Remote and that should take care of it. It fixed the same issue that happened with Suspiria on my friends PS2.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Could it be that the Ps2 uses a cheaper dvd player?

The Ps2 has been reviewed many times and not 1 time has it gotten a decent review as a standalone dvd player. The more difficult and complex the dvd mastering gets the lower tolerance that these discs will have with a lesser quality player.

I'm not saying go out and buy a $1k player but in my experience with the ps2 its no better than a $100 orbitron.

Disney dvds are very complex and are going to be in the future as the envelope is pressed further.

Please don't take this as a slam on your player just realize that the ps2 isn't exactly a top shelf dvd player.

Btw It plays fine on my Sony 530D dvd player.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Tron: SE does some really odd things at about the 38:20 mark. All of a sudden, the screen turns green and blocky, audio continues fine.
I think it's because this 1982 title is actually C64-compatible, not PS2-compatible.
:D Sorry. I realize that was less than helpful...

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Actually, my TRON had a similar problem at Chapter 13 14:28 the picture blocks into three blocks just as he lets go of his identity disc. I returned that disc and have not been able to see the other one as of yet. I have a Sony 500 DVD player.

Michael Moulton

Stunt Coordinator
Shane,
I have read those reviews as well, but my experience has not been the same. I have 190 DVDs now, and the only two I've had a problem with are Fast & the Furious (exchanged for a copy of the 2nd pressing and it's fine now) and Tron.
I'm just curious whether other PS2 owners are having this Tron problem-- the Fast & Furious problem was discussed here, a few people had it. If other PS2 owners report back that it's fine, I'll exchange it-- otherwise, I don't know what to do.
So far I've had better luck with the PS2 than my roommate had with his RCA player-- at least my PS2 reads all the DVDs!
PS2 owners, please let me know what Tron's doing on your system :)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I think it's because this 1982 title is actually C64-compatible, not PS2-compatible.
LOL! I remember sitting in front of my PC with a copy of Compute! Magazine, typing in thousands of lines of machine language so I could play a modified version of "Centipede" when I was done. Debugging that code was fun...

Tim RH

Second Unit
At the beginning of Chapter 4, just as the helicopter lands and right before Dillinger gets out of the elevator, the picture breaks up for a second or two. It looks really bad. I took the DVD back and excahnged it, but the second one I got does exactly the same thing. Unless maybe it's just my APEX player (though this kind of thing has never happened to me before)?

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Scott I had the same problem only at a different spot in the movie. I know what you are talking about!!! It is very iritating.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Tron won't play properly on my Apex 600a. The player won't downconvert the anamorphic image.

Not much can be done about this (Except maybe the dual boot firmware update, but I'm not interested in doing that).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks