Problems with Time Warner HD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Carmona, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Hi everyone, Ive got some problems with my TV, or something.
    I got Time Warner cables HD box today with Showtime and HBO
    Has anyone had any problems with the screen size with this box?
    I mean on a 4x3 TV? HBO came out full screen, but it looked stretched, as if i had to go into the settop boxes menu to tell it to do letterboxing. Problem is the box has no such menu.
    Showtime and other regular channels show up in a smaller screen than my tv. I get black bars on each side of my tv.
    Any help would be appreciated. I gotta wait for a dam tech to come out on thursday. I might just end up giving it all back to them [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "This is a tasty burger."

2. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

It would help to know what TV you have, but chances are the problem is not the cable box, but your TV. If you don't have a TV that can do the vertical squeeze on HD signals, you need to perform it in the TV's service menu. I had to do it for my Toshiba TN61X81. If your TV is a Toshiba, the instructions are here.
    ------------------
    Vic Ruiz
    STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

3. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

I couldn't tell from your post, but I am assuming you've connected your Component cables from the TW HD box to your TV set. Using any other cable only permits a NTSC signal to go to your TV.

4. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Thanks fellas, but ive decided to give them back their box.
    I dont know where i put the paper work for my TV, but its a 56' 4X3 HD set (toshiba).
    I do know how todo the squeeze trick, but the problem is that the image is displayed with black bars on the Left and Right side of my TV. Any adjustments in the Service Menu cant pull it out far enough.
    Everything, including regualr cable channels, are squished vertically with the exeption of HBO which is full screen HD but looks weird(squeeze works on this one).
    I think the problem is either my TV or the box's component output. I get every cable channel working fine thru S video or composite connections(except of course for HD).
    So, Theyll be picking it up and ill have to wait till i get a 16x9 TV or a Progressive DVD player, or both.
    So much for buying a HD 4X3 tv [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "This is a tasty burger."

5. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Well, HD IS 16:9, by definition... I guess it's a bit misleading to sell a 4x3 tv as "HD ready", or whatever they say...
    Even with the squeeze, you'll still get sidebars for 4x3 HD material... For example, The Chris Isaak show is 4x3 HD (on Showtime)--on my widescreen I've got sidebars--it's the nature of the source. (I guess saying 4x3 HD doesn't really make sense, but some programs are upconverts, and not native HD, hence the 4x3 aspect ratio.) But native HD material fills my screen, or for some movies it appears letterboxed due to the aspect ratio--but it always fills from side-to-side...
    If you use the component output of the HD converter, the tv is getting a 1080i signal, whether or not the material is really HD, and therefore will appear squished for non-HD material (and anyway, the quality sucks really bad compared to the s-video output for non-HD channels). There is only one HBO and one Showtime (at least with my TimeWarner cable) channel that is HD--all the others will not look normal if you are using the component output.
    So both your tv and box are working as intended...
    To view true HD material you must hook up the component output to your tv and do the squeeze trick.
    For ALL other material you must use either the s-video or composite output.
    For all the non-HD channels, I use the RCA composite video output of the box, it is far superior to the s-video output...at least going into my Pioneer SD582...

6. Michael St. Clair