What's new

Problems with the Citizen Kane dvd (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I literally just got through watching this film from beginning to end for the first time in my life.
Subtract one month, and ditto :) Saw it for the first time, recently. Watched again with the Ebert commentary and watched the second disc's documentary (wow!).
I've now lent it to a friend (a photographer), since I think he'll really appreciate the lighting and photography of the movie.
This was a very successful sight-unseen purchase. :)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Patrick is incorrect about Kane's sound. Only composite tracks exist on this title. Warner did not have separate sound elements to work from. If Herrmann's original music score for this picture existed, it would be a major find. There is a "CD" soundtrack out there, but it's an illegal Euro bootleg made from a print of the film itself (dialogue, etc.) and it sounds like it was recorded from a television set. Avoid at all costs.

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone is interested in a recording of the Citizen KAne score, there is a very nice studio recording of the complete score on the Vareses Srabande label. It was released a year or two ago. It's part of their series of (nearly) complete Herrmann scores, including Vertigo, Psycho, The Truoble With Harry the unused Torn Curtain, and several others. All are excellent performances in excellent sound.

Tom Fynan

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
To return to Ryan's original question:

I am getting some kind of blue stuff at the edges of my tv, I do not know if that is edge enhansment or not.
No, it's not edge enhancement. That's usually a sign that your TV's convergence is out of whack. If you have an RPTV, it may be fixable. If it's a picture tube, you're probably suck with it. But there's nothing wrong with the DVD.

M.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Would there be a major problem since my tv is a 60 mitsubishi big screen tv. It does not have High definition and we have had it for around 5 years.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
So it's an RPTV. That means the convergence should be adjustable. But it takes a qualified technician.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks