Problems with "The Cable Guy" DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_MSP, Aug 27, 2002.

1. David_MSP

David_MSP Stunt Coordinator

I used to be able to watch this disc until I tried it on my Toshiba SD-4700 player. Now when I put the disc in, it appears the player is doing something, but the screen is completely black. I am not able to access the menus either. Has anyone had a similar problem with either this title or another when switching from an old player to a new one? I was also wondering if it would be worth buying a new copy of this movie, but I have no idea if the discs on the shelves these days are the same as my old one. I also realize I might just be out of luck.

2. Joseph_mx

Joseph_mx Stunt Coordinator

Toshiba players aren't that good. I dont think it is a disc problem, I recommend you to check the disc with other player (friends or stores)

3. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

David, i've always had problems with this DVD. it plays ok on my stand alone (a pioneer), but won't play on my PC. i've used several different players (powerpc, ati player, pcfriendly) and several different PCs, but i get the black screen as you describe. this anomaly doesn't happen with any other discs.

another strange thing. on the P&S/Full frame side; the first chapter is in 235, then the film turns into 133 from then on. huh?

i would suggest it's just suspect authoring (it was an early disc). either that, or it's some incompatibility issue.

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I have the SD4700, and I have to disagree with Joseph's claim:

I have been very imressed with my 4700 and bought it on the recommendation of fellow HTF members and several other electronics sites.

As for your problem, David, I have never experienced anything like it, but it sounds like a bad disc mixed with some incompatibility issues.

5. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

6. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

thanks for the info Esten. having never watched the P&S transfers, this was something i was oblivious to.

7. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Toshiba players aren't quite as bad as Joseph states but over the years they have been the king of incompatibility issues.