What's new

Problems with Raiders/Indy movies (1 Viewer)

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i noticed focusing on crusade when all 3, jones' and sallah, were driving down the road before heading into the desert, it focuses and unfocuses 2 or 3 times.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Sony DVP-S360

No problems. The layer change is very noticeable but that is typical with this player.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
I had the same problem as John did (i.e. Pixelating @ 00:28 into Raiders). Glad to hear that an exchange fixed the problem. I'll try the same.

JKS

***UPDATE***

Replaced "Raiders" disc, fixed problem. JKS

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
The only problem (if you could even call it that) was on The Last Crusade, at one part towards the end during the tank scene, the picture gets very blurry twice in a row for about a second each. I am sure this is a transfer problem, and not a DVD or player problem.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
no problems with my sony (560?)...

just an fyi, some dvd's just don't seem to work in some players. i have a copy of "chasing amy' that absolutely will not play correctly in my sony. it (the same dvd) works fine in all my friends players, etc.

i guess it's just "one of those things..."

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Has anyone else noticed a couple of frames missing in Raiders near the beginning of the film when Indy meets with military intelligence? Indy "jumps over" in the frame pretty badly. Can't remember seeing this on any other home video versions. Possibly a drawback of going back to the original negative? You'd think if those frames were missing they could have digitally re-created them, but maybe that's a lot harder than it sounds. There MAY be a frame missing in TOD when Indy bites into the apple too.

I was very impressed with how they took out the snake reflection in Raiders FOR INDY, BUT very disappointed to see then that they didn't bother when Marion was face-to-face with it after falling into the Well of Souls.
The reflection is still quite noticeable for a couple shots with her. The glass is made even more obvious by the fact it strikes at her and stops (because it hits the glass we're not supposed to see). Disappointing they couldn't paint out the reflection for ALL the shots. Maybe it was a lot harder to remove the reflection over her white dress than on his dark jacket. Still, for all the waiting, you'd think they'd have been more thorough. Maybe they only watch it on a 12" 4:3 monitor and didn't notice the snake reflection in the wider shots, but on a 38" widescreen I had no problem seeing it without looking for it. Maybe they'll take care of it for HD-DVD, but I doubt it. Now that they have their new HD transfers, they're probably done tweaking for a while which makes the oversight that much more upsetting.

Haven't gotten a chance to watch Last Crusade yet, but so far overall, I'm happy with the sound and video quality of the set. Hearing things, especially dialogue that was never intelligible before (I've noticed a lot of unintelligible dialogue in Spielberg films over the years. I complained a lot when JP first came out.) TOD seemed to be mastered a bit louder than Raiders or else it's just much more dynamic. At times, the picture clarity almost brought tears to my eyes. ;)

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom

Hmph, never had this problem with my copy of Chasing Amy in my Sony S560D. You talking about the Criterion edition?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The Best Buy disc is from the original "Making-Of" documentary for Raiders; this DVD contains 10 minutes of footage. I have it - it's not bad for being only 10 minutes, but it's nothing great really.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Thanks man! I was just wondering if I should tell Santa to get it from BB instead of BJs where it's pretty cheap.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Layer changes not quite as smooth as some titles, but other than that, no problems with my Tosh SD6200.

JimmyK

PS - I wonder how many others, like me, purchased the set mainly to just get Raiders?

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom

I was sorely hoping that they'd sell them separately so I could get Raiders & Crusade. Didn't have much interest in Temple, esp since its the most over-broadcast of the 3 on TV.

But, with Xmas comin' up I'm willing to bite the proverbial bullet...

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
All 3 INDY DVD movies worked fine with no issues or problems - I did barely notice on one (?) of the movie's, a very slight layer change.

Both Bonus DVD's worked fine with no problems.

Player: Panasonic DVD-RP56

Happy camper here! :)

Phil

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ok I feel better now. :)

I exchanged my boxed set at Best Buy this evening, came home to check the specific areas on Raiders and Temple of Doom where I experienced the problems and everything looks good. :emoji_thumbsup:

So apparently I had a bum copy or something.

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I did not have any problems with discs on my Sony DVP-670D (5-disc carousel, but I did notice on the Last Crusade that the opening credits seem to jumble around a little bit. Has anyone else notice this too?

I did not see this problem with Raiders or with Temple.

perrin

Jim-M

Second Unit
Did anyone else have a problem at 1:51:49 of Raiders during the closing credits? Mine jumps back to chapter 16 or skips 10 seconds. Player is a Sony NS300.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I did notice on the Last Crusade that the opening credits seem to jumble around a little bit. Has anyone else notice this too?
What exactly do you mean by 'jumble around'? I think that particular font used for the opening credits on Last Crusade was just a bad choice because against the brightness of the outdoor setting they look funky and undefined in contrast, which might be the issue you're having(and we all have for that matter). That font is better for a black screen, not vivid bright and highly detailed environments like the rocks and blue sky they appear against.

Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks