Problems with Raiders/Indy movies

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gary->dee, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I have a problem with my copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark and after reading some of the replies in the HTF review thread of the boxed set it appears other people also have problems as well. I thought these issues deserve their own thread but if a moderator thinks otherwise they can close this thread.

I bought my boxed set from Best Buy and during Raiders, right as Indy drops the pole into the map room it freezes up, gets blocky and skips a few seconds. Very irritating. The problem continues until Indy finds Marion in the tent. For a minute I had a flashback to the old Raiders videodisc and the problems that old format had with skipping. I should mention that I've had no problems with either of the 2 other movies, Temple of Doom or Last Crusade(or the bonus disc for that matter). *Correction, it appears that the image freezes and gets blocking during the beginning of Doom and the dance number, but not as bad as the Raiders problem. I'll try to exchange the box set at BB.

If you have a similar problem either with Raiders or the other movies log them here. If you don't have a problem with any other movies then you're lucky! [​IMG]

2. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Gary,

I am 99% sure that is the layer change. I remember because mine paused briefly in the middle of the echo of the staff hitting the ground, and I don't recall any other pauses. Plus it was about 1/2 way into the movie, which seems about right for a layer change.

Sounds like an exchange may solve the problem.

3. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Andrew I'm aware the problem occurs at the layer change(I probably should have mentioned that) but there appears to be a problem with the beginning of the second layer. It's defective resulting in the image freezing, getting blocky and skipping forward. That's not normal.

Also, I've read of a case in which someone exchanged their boxed set only to experience the same problem. If that's the case then this needs to be handled through Paramount like the Back to the Future/Universal deal and it won't simply be a matter of exchanging it at the store of purchase. I still have to exchange my copy and see what happens.

Edit: I've made a correction to my initial post. The beginning of Doom appears to have freezing/blocky problems as well.

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Perhaps you should list your player in case it's a player specific problem. I had no problems on any of the movies with a Panasonic.

5. John Alderson

John Alderson Supporting Actor

My copy of Raiders froze and pixellated 28 seconds into it. I returned it and the replacement worked fine (as did the rest of the discs). When I inspected the bad Raiders disc, there were speckles all over it, almost as if it had been sprayed with something and then dried. Very odd.

Hopefully it's just a bad copy for you too though.

6. Galen_V

Galen_V Second Unit

I experienced the same thing that Andrew did-my picture paused for about a second during that point in Raiders for the layer change, but everything after that was fine. Other than guessing that it is a player related problem (again, it worked fine on my Sony), I can't think of anything else to tell you that might help to solve your problem. If it helps, I got my discs at Overstock.com and not at Best Buy.

7. Antony James

Antony James Stunt Coordinator

My copies have all worked 100% on both my Toshiba and my crummy asian player.

And my gf's copies worked fine on her Pioneer.

Thank goodness. [​IMG]

8. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

For reference, I used a Pioneer DV-563A with no problem.

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I have a Panasonic RV80 and had no problems.

Yours definitely sounds like a bad disc(s).

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

no problems with my Pioneer

11. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I've got the 'Best Buy 5 disc' widescreen set. Plays fine on my Pioneer DVL-909.

Harry

12. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    No problems on my Sony DVP-S3000.

Neil

13. Brion Lydon

Brion Lydon Stunt Coordinator

No problems on my JVC player.

Brion

14. Eric Chang

Eric Chang Stunt Coordinator

all OK with my samsung and ps2 players.

15. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

Everything played fine on my Pioneer DV-414, which surprised me, as I've had a string of bad luck with DVDs lately. The layer change was noticeable, but there were no signs of pixellation or the player locking up.

It sounds to me like you might have just gotten a bad disc (or discs, as the case may be). And I can speak from personal experience that several copies of a disc from one retailer can have the same problem. I had a problem getting a working version of the two disc "Red Dragon" earlier this summer from an etailer (who, to their credit, were nothing but helpful in replacing it three times, and in doing so, earned my business above and beyond all others regardless of price in the future), so you might want to return it, get your money back, and go to another retailer to get your new copy (if you can).

16. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

No problem with my Denon 1815

17. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

My "Raiders" had a couple instances in the first ten or fifteen minutes of the film were an object or person would lose focus for a second or so. But after watching a scene again that stuck out in my mind, I didn't notice the problem again. Probably a player issue or dirt or something. A defect like that in the disc wouldn't fail to show itself again. Just one of those little anomalies that you have to deal with in the digital world I guess.

18. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Does anyone notice at 13:45 - if you keep your eye on Indy's face, the scene almost appears to slowdown too much? Actually, if you watch from about 13:40 to 13:45 you will see this. (At least I see it on my disc).

19. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

I have a toshiba 5 disc ch anger, forget the model number, but it was 99 bucks, and all 3 movies freeze at the layer change for a few seconds, and then jump to the next chapter and continues playing. I can rewind from that point and stop right before the layer change and it will play fine, but it craps out on the layer change.

20. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Steven,

I think what you're describing might simply be the camera focusing-I noticed a few of these myself, and it was right as the perpspective was changing from one person to another.