What's new

Problems with progressive dvd player (1 Viewer)

Frank Gibson

Auditioning
Hi, about six months ago I bought Toshiba DVD progressive scan dvd player to play DVDs on my 55" samsung RPTV HD Ready set.
When I first bought the player I could not tell much of a difference between interlaced and progressive mode, they both looked great, so I just kept it in progressive mode. Now, on all movies I play, without exception, the interlaced mode looks better. It colors seem richer, deeper and there are more details visible. Its overall a much better picture. The progressive seems too bright and the colors seems washed out. I've tried several dvds with the same results. Ive tried different component cables, and various settings.
Shouldnt progressive look better? Any ideas

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
It depends on the player, the Toshiba's don't have a high quality de-interlacer so it probably is no better than interlaced. If you got one with a top-rated de-interlacer (Faroujda or Silcon Image chipset) you would see a big difference.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The calibration for progressive may just be different than the calibration for interlaced on your TV. If you re-adjust things like contrast and brightness (AVIA or Video Essentials DVD will help) you may find that you can achieve just as good a picture on progressive that you have seen using interlaced.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks