Problems with Playcentric.com

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Geiger, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Bill Geiger

Bill Geiger Second Unit

Well, my order (HA!) arrived today. All but one of the movies I ordered was in the box. I was informed of this earlier as the Air Force One Super bit that I order is on back order for God knows how long. I have emailed them many times without a response. I email them again today when I find out the Scream that I requested is not the same as is listed "in detail" on their website. I ended up getting the "Widescreen Version" instead of the listed Collectors Edition.

I just want to mention that I feel Playcentrics Customer Service (HA!) is a complete joke. Four emails in four days. They state it takes about 24 hours to respond via email. Well, it has been well over 96 hours, I guess they have a different concept of time at their offices.

I also mentioned that I will contact whoever I need to in regards to "false advertisement" if I am not given the help I am asking for. I am simply asking for the correct copy, and I will glady send back the unopened version that they sent me.

This will be the first and the last time I use this online retailer. At least when you go to other online sites, it at least mentions the version... at least the CORRECT one.

Anyone else have a problem with them at all?

2. Christopher_H

Christopher_H Stunt Coordinator

Hey Bill,

I have had a bad experience with Playcentric as well. I order "Frequency" from them along with 4 other movies at the beginning of may. The first shipment I received only 3 of the movies without any email notifying me of the backordered items. Frequency was in this order, but when I opened it up, the DVD looked like someone scanned the cover of the box at low resolution and printed out a label on their inkjet printer and affixed it to a CD-R. I tried playing this disc on my DVD player and sure enough it didn't work.

So I emailed customer service about the issue and they actually responded the next day. They assured me that they will send out a replacement right away, no need for me to send the fake one back. 3 weeks later I received my back ordered items and no replacement for Frequency.

I emailed them again to ask the status of my replacement. No response. So I followed up with 3 more emails, with my last email threatening not to purchase from them in the future and requesting my money back since they did not send a replacement. 5 days after my original email (the day after the threatening email was sent) I get a response saying they are putting a second request in to send my replacement. I also got a second response stating that I would receive a refund on my credit card within two business days.

Hopefully I will get my money back. It has only been one day so I am still waiting to see if my credit card has been credited. After all this, I probably won't be using Playcentric again because it is too much of a hassle.

3. Bill Geiger

Bill Geiger Second Unit

Geez, that is horrible! It is amazing, all of this hassle from a DVD online store! Who would have thunk it? I will post here exactly what happens. As of right now, I have yet to get the automated response, which is kinda nice, but I am not holding my breath for a quick response either.

Also, how they can do something like that (scam) for a DVD is unbelievable. That is just bad business.

4. Christopher_H

It is weird because the DVD was shrink wrapped in a snapper case but had no Security Stickers.

5. Christopher_H

Just to let you know, I received a refund for the defective DVD today. Whoopee!

6. Mike Kearns

Mike Kearns Auditioning

Placed an order with them recently. Had all the problems listed above. Even worse they billed me for the entire order with 2 items backordered. Will never use them again.

7. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Well, I decided to give them a shot to take advantage of some rather low prices and an especially good, short promotion. They, of course, did bill me for the two discs that were backordered, but the rest appear to be arriving today. That is pretty fast delivery, since I ordered them Monday night (today is Saturday) though I did do the First Class shipping upgrade. If there is any problem, I will just call the credit card company and dispute the entire charge right away.

8. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Well, here is the deal so far. The four DVDs that shipped arrived today. As I said, I ordered them Monday night, they shipped out Wednesday and arrived today, which is Saturday. Pretty good. In fact, I selected First Class mail, for just $1 more and they actually sent it Priority. Pretty good again. The DVDs came in a bubble pack, which I wasn't thrilled with, but no problems from that. One disc did slip off the spindle and get scuffed up a bit, though I don't think it had anything to do with them. It happens. Here is what I got, with the price of shipping split evenly among them, so they are final, delivered prices.

Donnie Darko $19.17
    Romeo & Juliet (Zeffirelli) $18.03
    Gattaca (Superbit) $17.38
    Sirens $5.98

Backordered
    Titus $12.79
    The Elephant Man $18.03

You'll notice all prices are the lowest available, sometimes by quite a bit. I ordered this stuff on a special they only had going for a couple days that was $3.50 off every title. I'm not thrilled about being charged for the two backorders, though. I've never dealt with anyone who does that, but by reading between the lines on their site, I figured that is what they did. I strongly recommend against using a debit card with them for this reason, since you have vitrually no recourse if you don't receive what you ordered. I also was charged exactly the price I was told, despite their warnings about exchange rate.

So far, it ain't bad. I will use them again, with some degree of caution. I have to admit, Christopher's experience with his Frequency disc is something to be concerned about.