What's new

Problems with Paradigm Tweeters? (1 Viewer)

Brandon A

Agent
I was reading reviews of the CC-350 on audioholics consumer review section. One reviewer said he had many problems with Paradigm tweeters blowing out. Is this a common problem and is it something I should be concerned about? I have an Onkyo SR601 and plan on running monitor 7s and the 350 or 370... plus surrounds

audioholics.audioreview.com/Center+Channels/Paradigm,CC-350/PRD_120345_2743crx.aspx

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Usually tweeter blow-out is a result of your amp clipping because it can't deliver enough powerduring a peak. This person claims he felt he was giving his too much power, playing it at "obscene" levels. More than likely his amp was running out of juice, caused it to clip, and fried the tweeters.

When pushing the limits of a system, it's always better to have an amp with too much power rather than too little. Find a good hihg-current Class A/B amp with deep power reserves (for those peaks at high-volume playback) and your speakers should be fine.

Bill

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have been using the Paradigm Monitor CC-350 with Monitor 7s for nearly 6 years without any problems. I really like this combination. I have a Yamaha RXV-2400 receiver.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This guy doesn't sound too bright, if you ask me. Being told what the reason was and continuing to blow tweeters...operator error. The "circuit breaker" added inline with the tweeters will degrade the sound also. I've owned 6 pairs of different Paradigm speakers and 3 different centers over the years, and NEVER ONCE had a tweeter go out on me.

IMO, that Onkyo is pushing the limit of how much power those speakers would like, but as long as you don't try to push it to ridiculous levels, it should be OK. If you have a large room, I'd consider a more powerful receiver.

PaulFirlotte

Auditioning
I've been running paradigm speakers for years, and I've owned many pairs, center and subs... run them off h/k, denon, pioneer, and bryston amplifiers with no adverse effects. My first pair were Titans back in '95, they still run great, no damage despite several audio indiscretions.

The guy who wrote that review probably shouldn't be left alone with electronics?

Kevin G.

Second Unit
There was a thread here a while back about Paradigms poor customer service, and I was amazed at the responses that were given. They all seemed to have a common thread about the tweets giving out.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I had the Paradigm Mini Monitor/CC350 in my setup and never once did I have a problem with the tweeters. If you think the Matrix Lobby scene is a challenge for your center, dry playing Saving Private Ryan DTS. Not enough juice from the amp section of the receiver is more than likely the culprit. More is always better.

Kevin

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
You rarely if ever hear anyone sing praise of their gear when it doesn't have problems (unless they're SVS crazed, etc. ;~). Practically all of those threads are about some poor individual's problems with one piece of gear. Statistically it's gonna happen - it sucks when you're the one that's the statistic, but it occasionally happens with literally everything manufactured (even Toyotas).

And from what I remembered, the thread about Paradigms and customer service that I saw was more about one individual's really unrealistic expectations than about a bad tweeter. As practically everyone else here has stated, there are quite a few of us who've never, ever had a Paradigm problem. Some of us still might, but that's the sucky part of becoming a statistic - statistically, it happens.

And as most have already said, one of the best ways to not fry tweeters is to drive your gear with adequate and quality amplification - it's better to have "too much power" in reserve than too little when you want to drive the speakers a little loud.

Thomas F

Stunt Coordinator
I had a problem once with a tweeter on one of my Studio 40's V.2. I discovered it when I was calibrating with pink noise from VE, and could hear an unmistakable crackling noise. I couldn't hear anything amiss with music or sound tracks, but it was definitely there with the pink noise. I called my dealer and they told me to bring it in and they would have a look at it. My dealer replaced it under warranty, and I haven't had any more problems out of my four Studio 40's.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I had a problem with a tweeter in my CC370 but it was probably a factory defect and in was mounted crooked in the housing. Other than that I have been giving my 5 digms lots of Watts with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks