What's new

Problems with ordering Superman Returns? - Now over! (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I actually have not seen any post in this thread regaurding any problems, so I guess I will go ahead and buy it unless there is any news regaurding problems.

Mike.P

Second Unit
There's definately just a block on when it is going up for pre-reserve - the standard def release isn't available for prepurchase from amazon.com either.

This is the release pushing me to buy the HD-DVD add on for my 360, so it BETTER come out on time!

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Dave, there's no indications that there's going to be any problems with the disc itself. The original post was just wondering if something was wrong with production because it isn't available for pre-order while the other Superman films are.

Royce H

Stunt Coordinator
The Superman Returns HD DVD Combo is now up for preorder at DVD Empire. It wasn't this past weekend, so that's right in line with the info from the DVD Planet source. I didn't look for BD or SD versions but am pretty sure they are available for preorder as well. Amazon doesn't show it yet, but I'll bet it'll be up pretty shortly.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have a link to the HD DVD on DVD Empire? For some reason, it's not showing up for me when I do a search.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Why the F would they make this a combo?

The SD version is coming out at the same time. IF you want the SD version then you buy the SD version. If you have an HD-DVD player why in the world would you want the SD version taking up space for nothing?

Does this mean the HD-DVD is a flipper? please say it ain't so!

MarekM

Supporting Actor
hmm flipper...........

I hate combo :frowning: I hate flipper :frowning: but not the dolphin :)

Marek

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
To watch it on your laptop, in your bedroom, at a friend's house, to stick it in a minivan's DVD player to lull the kids to sleep on a long trip. Just because the people in this forum tend to only watch movies in their designated movie-watching space doesn't mean that being able to have one copy that works in multiple machines is of no value.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It means that *everyone* ends up paying a premium of almost 50% so that the kiddies can watch it in the minivan on the way to soccer practice. Not good. If they're going to release SD DVD and HD-DVD Combo discs day-and-date then IMO they should ALSO offer a HD-DVD only version at the same time. Cramming the Combo down the throat of early adopters at an inflated price isn't a good marketing strategy. This is the one thing about HD-DVD that I absolutely do NOT like.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the problem is, with that kind of multi use, you are exposing the disc to a lot more potential for scratches and other deliterious effects- which may then affect either or both sides.
what makes it further stupid is the pricing.
if you want a dvd copy of the movie for travel or other use, you can pick up the movie only sd fairly cheaply. the price of that together with a single sided HD that has all the extras (or vice versa) would amount to just about the same as the silly combo discs- with the main difference is that you have even greater flexability as you can loan out one while keeping the other.

If these combos were priced so that the dvd side was no premium, it would be an entirely different matter (and a sensible one if the intention was for non- hd users to be inclined to build a future HD library).

even further idiocy is when the studios makes a combo disc of a film that is already being sold in sd in $6 racks (American Werewolf, for instance).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I would accept it, if it didn't infuence the price.
(One problem here is, of course, we don't know exactly he price of this release without the SD DVD side. Part of the higher amount could simply be the market mechanism of selling a very recent and wanted movie).

BTW, I think the studios still lose on the sales of the current batch of HR discs, the volume still being too low.

Cees

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

then make a $#@&! hd dvd version available for those who dont need the sd version

i'm not buying it.
i'll netflix it and hold it for as long as i need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks