What's new

Problems with Opera DVD? (1 Viewer)

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
Nah..there's definitely something fishy with the single disc edition of Opera. Even after cleaning mine still won't even boot, as is the case with many others.

Ken_Pro

Grip
I went to get this at Best Buy today and asked the supervisor if he heard of any problems with it. He said he didn't hear anything but offered to test the disc.
I bought the 1-disc Opera and then went straight to the return counter to have it tested. The women there invited me into the back and ran the disk. It loaded fine, but when she skipped to Chapter 15 we saw the pixel storm.
Defective disc.
I got a cash refund and felt lucky I didn't have to go through this at home and then try to haggle a refund from Best Buy for an already-opened product.
I recommend you get Best Buy to test your Opera disc before taking it home....at least until there's some official reprint.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Hey Wes ole buddy, just got Suspiria LE
Will test it out tommorow or late tonight.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

LarryH

Supporting Actor
As feared, my single-disk version of Opera would not even load on my player and I had to power it down even to get it out of the player, which would respond to no commands while "reading" the disk initially.
My question: Has anyone gotten a single-disk version of this title that is not defective?
If not, I assume it's hopeless and should just return to my online source for a refund.

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
I thought mine worked but I only spot checked it. The menus loaded just fine with no problems accessing any of the features. But around chap. 14 I think is when it goes bad. Please I recommend that everyone actually watch this and not just spot chech as I would might not have known mine was bad for quite awhile otherwise. I thank the people that said to actually watch it. Mine is #03137/30000.
------------------

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
My Opera (#00432) worked fine but my Suspiria (#04919) had a couple of loud digital audio clips during the film. When I watch it again (after i recalibrate my tv, it was driving me crazy last night during Suspiria which I know is a good transfer) i'll try and see if it's repeatable. I also don't knwo what to do with the giftcards that came with Suspiria, they make the case very hard to close! Other than that though i was very impressed with the Suspiria LE.
and i'm still not sure this is the totally uncut version of Suspiria. It's definitely not the r-rated version, but i'm beginning to suspect a "Manhunter" might have been pulled here as far as the cut goes. I'll leave that to people who are bigger experts on this film (and i'm sure there are dozens)...
sean

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
What scenes are you thinking are cut? A good friend of miner who has this is 100% sure it's uncut and he is an expert on the film and has compared scenes with the laserdisc.
My copy is still not here and I doubt it will be here any time soon with the massive delays in mail from the flight groundings.
frown.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Ken_Pro

Grip
I for one hope it's uncut so they keep the original wacky ending. I won't go into details, but the original ending had a character do something so silly and whacked out it BEGS laughter....but I love it.
When I saw the movie recently at a revival theatre, it was a new cut, with the wacky ending removed, so it ended on a much more straightforward note...straightforward for "Opera," that is. :) Anyway, that was disappointing.
I hope they kept the ending intact for the DVD.

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
Just to update people, I recently picked up a limited edition version of Opera (#404) and it's a MESS. Non stop pixelization and loud audio bursts, all of which are actually reproducable (I can rewind and see them in the same spots). So...I guess the limited edition is pretty messed up as well. (note: this is also after being cleaned) This is in my Toshiba 3109. To date, the single disc Opera and this one are the onyl discs to EVER give me this kind of trouble, save badly damaged rental discs.
I think Anchor Bay did a serious ball-drop on Opera, as I was also especially disappointed by the soundtrack CD. I apprecite the authoritative Claudio Simonetti music, but they dropped the Brian Eno, Roger Eno, Bill Wyman, and actual opera pieces, none of which are available anymore.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Bad news....I reported earlier in this thread that my Opera SE played fine on several players. I checked each chapter. Well, today I tried it again with terrible results. About 2 minutes into Chapter 13 it starts break-up and loud audio noises just like reported in reply above. I tried later chapters with same result. I cleaned the disc and tried again. The proble was repeatable. Also tried in second player with same result. This is very strange as one week before I had watched most of Chapter 13 and checked every chapter after that for a couple of minutes. Now problem appears immediately at start of the chapters past 13.
I have since received a second disc with similar serial number and I watched chapters 13-15 straight through with no problem.
I know the problem was not there on the first disc one week ago. Is there some sort of rot going on associated with manufacturing defect. If you found your disc OK on firsr viewing, I urge you to check again. Looks like real mess.
Has anyone contacted Anchor Bay? Matt, I think you have good contacts.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I have e-mailed Anchor Bay twice now, and they have yet to get back with me. They seem to have terrible customer support, at least so far. I hope they get back with me sometime this week.

arminio

Auditioning
Hey Roger - this looks lik DVD rot - although I hope it is not !
I don't know what to do - my order is in progress and my copy will come in a week or two ... now I am slightly desperate !
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
My contacts at Anchor Bay dried up once I publicly criticized their re-release of ABT. I guess they don't like the truth.
angry.gif
I did e-mail one guy I still talk to and all he said was "We are aware of the problem. No decision has been made on what to do."
It's clear that the entire run may be bad and theorize it might be from the duel layer technology. It's possible the layers are not properly sealed, which is why the problems gets worse each time the disc is played.
confused.gif

I STILL don't have my copies, which were mailed 8 days ago via Priority. Clearly the lack of flights has killed mail delivery.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I am so grateful for this thread, as I thought my beloved Panny A-320 was dying!!
I bought the single disc version of Opera at Best Buy yesterday. Won't load on either my Panasonic A-320 or PS-2. I am not going to return it to BB and get stuck with another defective copy.
I have written a polite e-mail to Anchor Bay, and will await their response. Hopefully they will work out some exchange program once they solve the problem and I won't have to go through BB's return hell.
I've had no problems with any other AB titles, but don't own many other than Wicker Man (which plays fine).
How good is AB about taking care of these problems? Will they be likely to work out a direct exchange deal so we don't have to go back to our retailers?
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I gave up on Opera. I had two copies that went bad in chapter 13 and convinced Best Buy to let me have a store credit instead of an exchange.
Sadly, I'll wait on this one until AB provides a new pressing.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
My Opera LE plays fine on my Toshiba SD 1600. No problems. I purchased from DeepDiscountDVD.com My copy is numbered in the 6,000s. Be sure to post your DVD player, retailer, and LE number if you are having problems so that we may all get a better idea on situation.
------------------
Best, Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks