What's new

Problems with Opera DVD? (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
played it through with no problems last night on my Pioneer 434. On a side note, i didn't think the image looked nearly as good as the Suspiria dvd, but that's probably more to do with the way Suspiria was filmed.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
By the way, I've never ordered from buy.com before I ordered Suspiria LE and Opera LE. They haven't come in yet, but I don't know when buy.com usually ships their stuff. Should I be concerned that they've not come in yet? Anybody else get them from Buy.com?

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Sean, OPERA was shot in Super35 and at the time, there were some problems with grain that are no longer an issue today. Meanwhile, SUSPIRIA was shot in 3 strip technicolor, which is as grand in image quality you can get without going 70mm.
The sections of OPERA that did not crash my player up looked very good, but not as pristine as SUSPIRIA or even the much older DEEP RED (which looks like it was shot yesterday and not in 1974).
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

arminio

Auditioning
I can't believe !
I had the same problems ith AB's DEEP RED and I am sure that I will have the same with OPERA !
.. and I already preorderd it (from DVDBoxOffice)
frown.gif
((
Should I cancel my pre-order ? What's your oppinion ?

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the single disc edition of Opera and Suspiria, and Opera will not even load on my Toshiba 3109. Suspiria works fine, though.
The odd thing is, usually when I've had problems with discs loading (usually badly abused rental discs) if it won't load, it jsut gives up after awhile and says "No Disc". With Opera, it infinitely sits there loading...
------------------
-----------
Dan Lopez
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com
My Reviews

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
My original reply got canned it would seem, but in any case: I jsut got the single disc versions of Suspiria and Opera, and Opera will not even load on my Toshiba 3109. First disc I've EVER had that problem with in hundreds of discs. Suspiria, however, runs fine, looks fine, sounds fine.
------------------
-----------
Dan Lopez
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com
My Reviews

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
My Suspiria and Opera LE's came in today, and Opera DOES NOT work on either my Sony DVP-S360 player or my computer's DVD player. It won't even start to play. On my Sony, a blue box comes up in the bottom right corner that says "C:13:00" The same message also come up on the front of my player at the same time. The Soundtrack disc played fine, but the movie disc won't play whatsoever. So, now what do I do?
Suspiria works so far, but I'm only a little ways into it.
This really makes me mad, as I've had problems with Anchor Bay discs before. They really need to straighten up their act.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
the above post is the first report i've seen of the 2-disc OPERA being unable to play...this is distressing...my L.E. works ok on my Pioneer but hope to upgrade to a progressive scan soon and who knows if it will work on that player.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
In an earlier post someone has suggested that serial number of LE edition of Opera might give an indication of problem.
My LE of Opera functions fine in 5 DVD players I have tried it in. No start problems and each chapter partially watched.
The serial number on the apparently good copy I have is 02746/30,000.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
The serial number of mine that doesn't work is #05638/30000.
And can someone help figure out why my player says "C:13:00" in the bottom right hand corner of the Sony screen when I try to play it? That's just weird.
[Edited last by Wes Ray on September 10, 2001 at 06:59 PM]

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
what's even weirder is that i am almost POSITIVE that my LE has a number out of 50,000 - not 30,000.
i will surely check when i get home!

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
angry.gif
The defective copy of OPERA I tried was in the 5600 to 5700 range of numbers. Can everybody please post the # of their LE's that are not working? Maybe we can narrow it down to a certain range of numbers?
confused.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Just to update, I've finished watching Suspiria all the way through and all 3 discs worked perfectly. Opera was the only problem.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Wes -- Do you have the Argento, Volume 3 set, featureing Tenebre and Deep Red? Deep Red is fine, but Tenebre may be defective. There is a low rumbling from 0:57 to 1:22 or there-abouts.
------------------
Best, Sam

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
No, I bought Tenebre and Deep Red when they first came out, respectively. My copies are fine, but my copy of Phenomena was defective. Around chapter 8, it'll pixelate and then freeze up. If I fast forward past it, it would be fine for a while, but eventually it did it again. I've never heard a hum though.
One thing is for sure, Anchor Bay's DVDs seem to have a lot more problems than most companies. I think they need to start getting to the bottom of some of these problems, because seeing as though they've re-appeared on Opera, their newest release, this must mean nothing is being done to correct whatever problem has been plaguing them this whole time.
[Edited last by Wes Ray on September 11, 2001 at 06:23 AM]

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My Opera DVD works fine in my Sony S360. #1017 of 30,000, procured at Best Buy.
Just a reminder if yours isn't working: try cleaning the disc. Several people I knew had trouble with the Wicker Man LE disc but it went away after a thorough cleaning, even though the disc looked clean to the eye.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
[Edited last by Mark Zimmer on September 12, 2001 at 08:35 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks