What's new

Problems with Opera DVD? (1 Viewer)

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I found this thread over at horrordvds.com and thought I'd share it with you guys. A few people are reporting problems with this DVD.
http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/...&threadid=2381
Have any of you who have the disc already experienced any problems? I've had problems with Anchor Bay DVDs in the past, so I wouldn't doubt if there are a few bugs, but these sound serious.
I bought two different copies of Phenomena and both did exactly what the people in this thread have described that Opera does. I really hope there's nothing wrong with Opera or Suspiria, as I have them both pre-ordered right now. I love Anchor Bay's title selection, but I have to often wonder about their technical reliability. This sort of thing seems to happen a lot.
What do you all think?

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Wes, you need to reprint what they said because we cannot access that site. They require a membership and it apparently takes over 24 hours for you to get access after siging up.
I borrowed my friends OPERA DVD and it played fine through the documentary, but it locked up during the actual film on my MALATA N996 and my TOSHIBA SD1600.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Oops, I forgot that you couldn't access the site without a membership. Here's what they've said about the Opera dvd...
"I picked up the single disc version of Opera today at Best Buy and was unable to get it to play on my RCA DVD player. I couldn't even get a menu to show up . . . This had never happened to me before, so I went online to see if anyone else had similar problems and, sure enough, some folks at alt.video.dvd confirmed my fear. From what I read, it seems that entire batches of this DVD are defective and that many people are having to return it. What really spooked me was when someone also mentioned having the same problems with the Suspiria DVD. I have the Suspiria LE coming in the mail soon and I hope it plays! What about you guys? Has anyone here had problems with either of these discs?"
"You bet !. Thank God I'm not the only one !. Just got the "Opera" single disc version the other day, and sure enough it wouldn't play. I don't know if it was the same with yours, but mine was full of scratches. I knew straight away it wouldn't play. Did yours have scratches all over it ?. It would only play the AB logo, and then went berserk. I returned it right away for an exchange copy, but now that it seems to be a general problem I better contact the store and tell them. I sure hope there's nothing wrong with "Suspiria" when it gets here."
"Wow...I thought mine was an isolated incident. I also got Opera from Best Buy but mine was the Limited Edition. It played fine for about 30 minutes then went all pixel crazy. The sound also started to pop. I took the disc out and it appeared fine. No scratches or dust. I put it back in but it still screwed up then completely froze. I took it back and got a replacement. I just finished watching it all the way through and it was fine.
I also got Suspiria LE. That one played fine."
"Just picked up the LE tonight at Best Buy - Tested it in my Pioneer, Toshiba, and Creative Labs (P.C. DVD-Rom), worked fine, just an F.Y.I."
"From the replies I'm getting here and on newsgroups, it seems that some people are able to play the DVD until chapter 10 or 11, at which point it goes "pixel crazy" and freezes. Others can't even get the menus to show. And a few lucky ones can play it fine. I'm not convinced that the LE DVD is any different from the single disc version - it should be the same pressing . . . I have no idea what to do. I don't know wether to keep replacing mine until I get one that works (potentially many trips to the store - might take all day), or wait to see if AB fixes the problem and ships a fresh batch.
Is it just me or is AB beginning to have a rather poor track record in regards to first pressings?"
"this type of disc cannot be played, please try another one" that's all what my Panasonic Player is saying when i pop in the "Opera" DVD. but i had no problems with "Suspiria" though ...
my "Opera" disc also has a few scratches."
"According to Argento, anytime anyone does something with Shakespears Macbeth, something bad happens. One of the actors died around the time of filming Opera and a few other things I can't remember. Now the disc problem.
Why would the discs have scratches on them? If this is some kind of trick by AB to have the disc be a superstisious collectable only to get people to by a corrected version in the future than this is a cruel and unforgivable joke.
The Suspiria disc plays fine, but the Opera disc doesn't. Why? None of the reviewers complained about getting defective discs. We want answers AB. We want them now."
That's all they've said so far. Anyone had problems like this?

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
As soon as I finished posting this I saw a nearly duplicate posting that wasn't there when I started. If a moderator could please delete my post that would be great.
Here are some current posts from that thread:
================================================== =========
Opera DVD problems!
I picked up the single disc version of Opera today at Best Buy and was unable to get it to play on my RCA DVD player. I couldn't even get a menu to show up . . . This had never happened to me before, so I went online to see if anyone else had similar problems and, sure enough, some folks at alt.video.dvd confirmed my fear. From what I read, it seems that entire batches of this DVD are defective and that many people are having to return it. What really spooked me was when someone also mentioned having the same problems with the Suspiria DVD. I have the Suspiria LE coming in the mail soon and I hope it plays! What about you guys? Has anyone here had problems with either of these discs?
You bet !. Thank God I'm not the only one !. Just got the "Opera" single disc version the other day, and sure enough it wouldn't play. I don't know if it was the same with yours, but mine was full of scratches. I knew straight away it wouldn't play. Did yours have scratches all over it ?. It would only play the AB logo, and then went berserk. I returned it right away for an exchange copy, but now that it seems to be a general problem I better contact the store and tell them. I sure hope there's nothing wrong with "Suspiria" when it gets here. I've got the opera blues !!.
Just picked up the LE tonight at Best Buy - Tested it in my Pioneer, Toshiba, and Creative Labs (P.C. DVD-Rom), worked fine, just an F.Y.I.
Wow...I thought mine was an isolated incident. I also got Opera from Best Buy but mine was the Limited Edition. It played fine for about 30 minutes then went all pixel crazy. The sound also started to pop. I took the disc out and it appeared fine. No scratches or dust. I put it back in but it still screwed up then completely froze. I took it back and got a replacement. I just finished watching it all the way through and it was fine.
I also got Suspiria LE. That one played fine.
If this is a joke, it's not funny. I haven't seen the disc around, but since it is supposed to be out this Tuesday, I was going to pick it up. Now I don't know what to do. The closest store to my house that sells dvd's is 27 miles away. I don't want to drive over there and back just to find the disc won't play.
How does this affect the limited edition numbers if this gets recalled?
From the replies I'm getting here and on newsgroups, it seems that some people are able to play the DVD until chapter 10 or 11, at which point it goes "pixel crazy" and freezes. Others can't even get the menus to show. And a few lucky ones can play it fine. I'm not convinced that the LE DVD is any different from the single disc version - it should be the same pressing . . . I have no idea what to do. I don't know wether to keep replacing mine until I get one that works (potentially many trips to the store - might take all day), or wait to see if AB fixes the problem and ships a fresh batch.
Is it just me or is AB beginning to have a rather poor track record in regards to first pressings?
My copy played fine, but I can't really say where I got it from. (Expect a review very soon).
Still, I'm noticing more and more "quirks" with DVDs, something I've been immune to up until now. Some of the special features on A Better Place (Synapse disc) locked up my Toshiba.
Has anyone noticed any probs with Cat O'Nine Tails? I bought it a couple of months ago, but haven't had time to scan it. I'm gonna be screwed if it's dead, since my return window expired.
I hope this doesn't keep happening...
Count me in ...
"this type of disc cannot be played, please try another one" that's all what my Panasonic Player is saying when i pop in the "Opera" DVD. but i had no problems with "Suspiria" though ...
my "Opera" disc also has a few scratches.
Cat O' Nine Tails played fine on my Panasonic, but I did notice the layer switch.
According to Argento, anytime anyone does something with Shakespears Macbeth, something bad happens. One of the actors died around the time of filming Opera and a few other things I can't remember. Now the disc problem.
Why would the discs have scratches on them? If this is some kind of trick by AB to have the disc be a superstisious collectable only to get people to by a corrected version in the future than this is a cruel and unforgivable joke.
The Suspiria disc plays fine, but the Opera disc doesn't. Why? None of the reviewers complained about getting defective discs. We want answers AB. We want them now.
Why don't you write to AnchorBay?
I pre-ordered the DVD, too but mine hasn't arrived yet but if your discs are defective, why don't you tell this to AB?
Here is the link to the site that you can write your suggestions/questions about AB:
I think you should choose "Questions"
NMA - I sent an email to AB this morning. When (or "if") I get a reply, I'll be sure to post it here.
[Edited last by TerryW on September 08, 2001 at 12:50 PM]

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Wes -- What DVD player are you using? I've been having a few problems with Tenebre, also from Anchor Bay, but I'm not sure if it is the DVD.
I borrowed my friends O2ePERA DVD and it played fine through the documentary, but it locked up during the actual film on my MALATA N996 and my TOSHIBA SD1600.
Matt -- I use the SD1600 as well, and it locks up every now and again, regardless of the DVD. Has it locked up on you with other DVDs? Do these lock ups tend to occur in the middle of the show? That's where mine always happen.
------------------
Best, Sam

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I haven't gotten Opera or Suspiria yet. I have them pre-ordered from Buy.com. However, I have had problems with Anchor Bay discs in the past. Phenomena, in particular. Once it hits Chapter 8, it locks up and i have to manually skip the chapter to get it to go on with the movie. It happens later on too, but I can't remember the chapter. Tenebre and Deep Red play fine though. I have a Sony player.
I just started this thread to see if anyone were having problems with this disc, because I know I've had a couple of problems with Anchor Bay discs in the past. I hope I don't have any with Opera or Suspiria because I am REALLY looking forward to watching these titles.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
Anchor Bay was absolutely ACE when it came to replacing my glitchy Hellraiser 2 DVD (locked up at the intro)...if there is a problem (and it sounds like there is) they will surely replace faulty discs (that way we don't have to guess as to which dvd's are second pressings or not if we return them to the store).
I'm going to check my OPERA dvd on my Pioneer 434 tonight. I used to have problems with PHENOMENON (especially the extras) with my old Toshiba and Panasonic players, but my Pioneer handles it, so i'm hoping it will do the same with Opera, although these Anchor Bay pressing problems are distressing.

M

MaxY

OK I got the LE version and it played fine on my Sony 9000.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

John Henry

Agent
In addition to not playing on my dvd player, it also won't play on my computer's DVD-rom drive, must be a bad batch.

Julie K

Screenwriter
My Opera disc is fine until around 51 minutes (layer change?) and then starts pixilating and eventually freezes up. There are no scratches that I can see. I've got a Toshiba 2109.
Hmmm, I just tried my Sampo 620 as well. The picture doesn't pixilate, it just freezes and then jumps several scenes.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
On Opera LE, experienced no problems on Pioneer H1000, Sony ES-9000 or Pioneer DV-AX10. Did not play all of film but tried all chapters and layer change. Menu response was a little slow on the Panasonic.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Here are some newer comments from users at horrordvds.com. I'm really starting to worry about these discs. Mine from buy.com still haven't come in yet, but I really hope they work.
"My Opera played but the last half skipped a good deal of times. Nothing too bad..."
-------------------------------------------------
"Bad news for me too. I purchased the single disc version last night at Best Buy and on my panasonic it starts to pixelate midway through chapter 12. By chapter 13 it is unwatchable. This is the first disc I have had a problem with on my machine. I have emailed Anchor Bay this morning but I don't expect a response on the weekend. It's off to Best Buy to return it."
"I picked up the Opera LE at Best Buy today and I'm having problems with it as well. It seems to drag in different areas with each loading. It isn't always the same place, it just stops and plays and stops and plays for about 10 seconds. I don't think Best Buy allows returns on open DVDs though."
"I have always applauded Anchor Bay's releases (and many of the oldest members here know that) but after what I am reading I am getting very hesitate about buying this damn disc.
They should be more careful, this is unacceptable."
"My Opera SE plays fine!!! :)"
"I can play Opera for 51 minutes (chapter 13 - ironic, no?) and then my Toshiba 2109 goes pixel crazy and my Sampo 620 freezes and skips. There are no scratches on the disc."
"OPERA SE plays fine from beginning to end, but my SUSPIRIA goes all to hell at around the fourth chapter. It won't play any extras and won't even let me in the audio screen. I'm now using it as a beer coaster while I watch OPERA again."
"It seems that most ppl here who have problems with the disc picked it up from BestBuy... has anyone who got their DVD from Amazon.com had problems with the disc or visible scratches on the disc's surface?"
"Well, I returned the bad disc I had to Best Buy this afternoon. They did not have any more stock of the regular of the LE. They confirmed that every copy they had has now come back. They gave me a store credit and I ended up buying the single disc release of maniac. I emailed Anchor Bay and am waiting to hear what they will say, if anything. I will wait for a second pressing before I buy Opera again."
"I got mine at best buy and its ok(its a lower#) i think it might be the higher numbered discs but i could be wrong"

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Opera won't play at all on my Sony.
I'm going to try to get it replaced.Really wanted to watch it, too.
Nervous about getting Suspiria. I've been wanting it in my collection for ages.
frown.gif

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Samuel, my Toshiba SD1600 has never locked up on a single disc and it has played hundreds.
This problem is one of two things... Either there is a large, bad batch, like with POINT BREAK. OR... A large batch has incompatibility problems. It's probably the former.
angry.gif

------------------

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Hi Matt!
I still can't believe that I bought my SD 1600 at a grocery store for less than $100 bucks! The lockups are never bad; usually I can fast forward over the spot.
A large batch has incompatibility problems.
Do you mean that these DVDs will not play in certain brand players? If so, I will not be purchasing the Disc. I'm becoming disappointed, because I'm starting to get into Argento. If it can't play in the SD 1600....
------------------
Best, Sam

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
That is a possibility. It's too early to tell. Most likely, a large number of DVD's are just bad and won't play in any player. It happens.
I ordered mine from 800.com (too bad they don't ship till the release date) so when they arrive, I hope to have better luck than with my friend's copies, which came from Amazon.com.
------------------

Julie K

Screenwriter
Well, I replaced my defective Opera DVD at Best Buy with another defective one. Both started having trouble right around 50 minutes, close to the layer change.
Ah well, now I have to stand in line for another 20 minutes. I hope I can get a store credit now since they don't have any more copies of Opera and I really think it's pointless if they did.
FWIW, I bought the single disc Suspiria there as well and have had no problems with it. It's a gorgeous disc.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Best Buy made me do the exact same thing when my copies of Phenomena didn't work. I bought one, took it back, then they made me get another of the same title. Pointless. The second one didn't work either. Ah well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks