What's new

Problems with Onkyo DV-CP500 (1 Viewer)

Shaun

Second Unit
I just recently purchased the new Onkyo DV-CP500 5 Disc Progressive Scan DVD Player to replace my older Onky DV-C501. The player is a marked improvement over the older model in many ways, but some very annoying problems plague this model too. The major problem, is that the digital audio signal seems to get lost when skipping chapters. It doesn't happen all of the time but when it does, I have to get up, and cycle through the input formats (analog/Digital/auto) to get the signal back. I have it paired with an Onkyo TX-DS575X reciever. I'm thinking the mix of the old with the new is the problem. What are your thoughts?

Shaun

Second Unit
I actually find the video and audio to be superior to the older Onkyo models. This model can play CDRs, MP3s, whereas the older models couldn't. It includes progressive scan capability. The audio especially seems to have been improved quite a bit. Also, layer changes are pretty much non-existent now. Absolutely no pause or audio dropout when the layer switch happens. The only gripes other than the one that I previously mentioned are that some of the features from the previous models seem to have been removed such as a display dimmer, enhanced black level, idle screen color choices, screensaver, etc.. The remote is also a step backwards. It's much smaller, missing a lot of the buttons on the older model, and the buttons that are there are not organized very neatly. There is only a disc skip button, no individual disc selector. No audio switching on the fly. If you want flip through the different audio tracks on a DVD, pushing the audio button will take you out of the movie directly to the audio selection screen. Also, button response is lagging. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 pushes to work. Other than these gripes, it's an excellent player. I certainly don't want to get a refund on it. The extra chore of having to get up and manually cycle through the audio formats on the reciever is not to aggravating. I've tried to determine the cause of the problem. At first I thought it was the cables. I tried 2 different coaxial and 1 optical. Problem was still there. Now I'm starting to think it's the receiver, which is an older model (Onkyo TX-DS575X), that is having trouble keeping up with this newer player. I bought this model through a local dealer. I'll give it a little more time. I just bought my first big screen tv, Mitsubishi Widescreen 55 inch HDTV Ready WS-55311 (delivers on saturday!), so that should match well with it.

Steve__R

Auditioning
I have a similar problem with a DV-CP702 hooked up to a TX-DS575X. When I change discs the audio drops out and I have to change to a different source and then back to DVD. I have Onkyo sending me a second dvd player to swap out with the one I am having problems with. I hope it's a problem with the dvd player and not the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread