Problems with new HTS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffPh, Mar 21, 2003.

1. JeffPh

JeffPh Agent

After going out to buy a DVD player, I came home with a receiver, DVD and 5.1 speaker package (seperate components). Here's where the trouble starts.

After several attempts at getting it all connected, I finally got things working...kind of. My current TV is old, and in the process of hooking things up the post for the coax broke. So now my cable runs into the VCR and then through the receiver to the TV (major pain changing channels with vcr, but new TV is months away).

Now I have two problems that occur.
    1.When I turn on the Receiver, there is a loud noise like a thump (sub), and also the sound of loud static in a very short burst.
    2. Sometimes, after turnig everything on, the TV has a picture that looks like I need to adjust the tracking. There seems to be a correlation with this and problem No 1 because sometimes when turning the receiver on there is not a loud noise, and the picture works (although there has been a mix of varying scenarios).

Can anyone help me with this problem? Please let me know if you need more specifics.And keep in mind that I am new to this in the truest sense.

2. ChristopherBer

ChristopherBer Stunt Coordinator

It seems to me that the problem could be caused by your surge protector.

3. JeffPh

JeffPh Agent

Thanks for the reply Chris. That may be the case because right now I'm using a cheap power strip.

Is there a particular type of power strip that anyone would reccomend? I've seen the Monster one, does it have any advantages over a quality one from a computer store?

4. Clark F

Clark F Agent

The Circuit City im my area has a power strip / surge protector for $20 from AR that seems to be a compromise between the more expensive monster ones and the garbage ones.

5. Larry Pinell

Larry Pinell Auditioning

I am planning to purchase a 27" sony wega flatscreen.
    I sit 8.5 ft from the screen. Do you think this size tube is appropriate (lord knows, I'd be hard-pressed to pay for the 32")
    Your feedback directly ([email protected]) would be sincerely appreciated.
    Thanks!!
    Larry Pinell

6. Clay-F

Clay-F Stunt Coordinator

About your picture problems....

That could be from running your dvd player into your vcr, and then to your TV. I found out quickly that some are copy protected I guess, so you cant always do that.

You could try getting an RF adapter and going straight to your tv.

My neighbor had this problem and thought his vcr was messed up. He was astounded when I told him this and it worked. (He had been watching fuzzy movies for like 6 months!)

I may have read your problem wrong, but just an idea.