Problems with NETWORK SE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sam Favate, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Like many of you, I was excited to get the new edition of Network in the Controversial Classics Vol. 2 box set. But I was very disappointed when I popped my DVD in, only to find it wouldn't play at all. Contacted Amazon, sent it back; they sent me a replacement set in a few days. Got it yesterday, and ... Network still won't play right. It freezes throughout. (All the other discs in the CC2 set play okay.)

Tried both copies of the new edition it in 2 players; same results. My main DVD player is a Sony S530D, which in the 7 years I have had it has never had a problem playing a DVD.

So, what's the word on this? Anyone have a QC number for Warner?

Is anyone else experiencing problems? It can't just be me since I've had the same problem twice.

2. Jeremy Brupaste

Jeremy Brupaste Stunt Coordinator

No problems of any kind on my Toshiba...and I watched everything on both discs.

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I'll check mine tonight. I hope that WB isn't going to start having quality problems too. I had to replace my "Wild Bunch" twice, and I'm still waiting for my new disc.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Don't most of the studios use the same facilities in pressing their dvds, thus any quality problem should be industry wide instead of being contain to one specific studio?

5. Eric Peterson

I honestly don't know, but I'm sure that they must share some facilities. It's just strange since WB has always had excellent quality, but now there are two SEs since the beginning of the year with reported problems. I won't take it too seriously until I see more bad reports on this title though.

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I know Deluxe does pressings for Universal, Columbia and Image, but I don't know whether they do Warner. Warner used to have its own operation but I seem to recall they closed it down, so I have no idea who is doing their work now.

7. Richard Matich

Richard Matich Stunt Coordinator

Go buy a new Network copy at Best Buy. My set plays great. If that still does not play then something is seriously wrong. Try the disc on a relative or friend's dvd player or computer etc. Just trying to help. Rent it online from Netflix or Blockbuster and see if it plays. [​IMG]

8. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Interesting, Sam. I got my set from Amazon, too, and Network (which is the only one I've watched so far) played fine throughout the movie on my Philips recorder.

9. RoyM

RoyM Stunt Coordinator

Although I don't have the new version of Network, I can say that I have had several problems with Warner disks over the last couple of years. In fact, I seem to have more problems with defective disks from Warner than any other studio (even Universal and their DVD-18's).

Over the last two years or so, I have had to exchange or replace copies of the following WB disks:

Them!
    The Shining
    I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang
    Follow the Fleet
    Top Hat
    A Night at the Opera

All had the same problem - glitches in the disks that resulted in freezing and pixelation at certain points in the movie. I am pretty sure that these were isolated cases of bad disks, rather than wholesale production problems, since the replacements all played fine. Still, it does indicate that Warner's manufacturing plant is far from perfect in their quality control.

I don't really expect to never encounter a problem with every DVD I ever purchase for the rest of my life. But I do wish that it wasn't such a finicky medium, where just the slightest flaw in the disk manufacture can so easily ruin the playback of data.

10. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

While I am glad to hear that many of you with the disc have not had problems, I still believe this is more than a case of a bad disc, since I have now had two complete sets of CC2 and only Network disc 1 gave me problems in both of them.

Having tried the disc on two players at home (a Sony and an RCA), I will try it over at my parents' house tonight on a Philips. If that doesn't work, I will go through the hassle of returning it again.

Thanks for the feedback, gang, I appreciate it.

11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    A woman from Warner returned my call yesterday and told my wife she'd send me a return label for the disc and then a replacement. She said it sounded like the malfunctioning discs I got were part of a "bad batch."

12. Eric Peterson

For the record, my copy of "Network" plays fine on my Yamaha player. Both discs loaded fine.