1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

problems with nero 5.5.9.9 and XP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick_M, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Patrick_M

Patrick_M Stunt Coordinator

I recently upgraded to Windows XP Pro. I have a 1.3 ghz Athlon and 256 meg of pc133 ram and a 80 gig hard drive. When I was running windows me, nero worked fantastic...the buffer level never dropped below 91% (I have a TDK Velo CD writer 32x with buffer underrun protection) Now on XP the buffer jumps back and forth like a yo-yo, and nero prevents 60 or 70 underruns per disc!! So now a cd that used to take 3 or 4 minutes to burn is taking almost 10 or 11 minutes! Are there some settings that I need to change to get nero to work better? I downloaded the lastest version of nero from the velo cd support site, it says it is compatible with XP. So any suggestions would be appreciated...I like XP a lot and dont want to go to back to ME just for burning.

Thanks everyone in advance for your suggestions.

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Does 5.5.10.0 do the same thing?

3. Chris Luebbe

Chris Luebbe Auditioning

I'm using 5.5.4.0 under XP Pro and it works fine. I'm using a 32x Toshiba reader, a 6x Yamaha writer, AMD 1800+ CPU, 512MB RAM. I don't think your hardware is an issue.

Is the upgrade really a full installer and not just an upgrade? If so, you may want to try completely removing Nero first.

Are you copying CDs on the fly or burning from files on your hard drive? Maybe your "source" CD drive is the problem?

Are you running several memory/CPU intensive tasks at the same time? Two or three "modest" apps like IE or Office or whatever might be fine, but trying to run CPU hogs like Photoshop, Fireworks, or Flash might be causing the problem. Check your task manager and see if there are programs eating up your CPU in the background.

I hope I got you pointed in the right direction...

4. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Did u do a fresh format and install of XP or did u upgrade from a previous version? If upgraded froma previous version, I HIGHLY recomend doing a fresh install, it will solve 99% of any problems u have after the upgrade, NERO included.