Problems with my Yamaha...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Lee_L, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

I have a Yamaha RX-V496 that my dad got me for Christmas two or three years ago. I chose that receiver because you guys recommended it, and I've been pleased. But in the past 6 months or so it's been acting strange, if you leave it on for a while, the volume will slowly fade out. If you turn the volume up, it doesn't really get much louder, until it sort of "clicks in" and is as loud as it should be at the volume you've just turned it up to, so then you can turn it back down to the volume you had it at orginally. I've tried taking some canned air and blowing out dust and whatnot, but it hasn't really helped. Does anyone have any idea what I should do? Should I open it up and use the air duster to blow all the dust out? Should I take it to a shop somewhere? Or should I just let it be for now, and wait until early summer and replace it? (I'll likely be getting my own place by then)

2. John S

John S Producer

It has good free air flow around it?

Does it do it, even when only driving stereo for long periods of time?

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

After about 3 years of use the volume control on my RX-V795 would not work through the remote. I had to go to the receiver to change the volume.

4. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

I never run it stereo, I run it in 5.1 for DVDs, and Dolby Pro Logic for TV and video games. But yes, it gets good air flow, or so I think. It's got about 6-8 inches of free airspace above it, and nothing is sitting on top of it either. There's nothing underneath it for that matter either. So I dunno [​IMG]

5. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

I'd have someone look at it. Couldn't hurt. If you can spend 50 bucks fixing it, that's a lot better than the 500 minimum you'd have to spend to replace it.

6. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Where can I get that done at? I don't know of any small shops locally, only Best Buy what stuff, and I don't want to take it there.

7. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

See if any local shops do repair. I love my RX-V496, I'd hate to see a problem with such a great receiver.

8. John S

John S Producer

Try it two channel (stereo), and see if it still does it.
    This would be for trouble shooting purposes only.

9. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

more trouble shooting questions:

1) does it do this with all the inputs or just one? (I'm guessing from your second response it acts up with all of them, but not completely sure)
    2) does it do it with analog or digital or both?

Reason I ask is that maybe the problem is with your source, not the receiver. The only other thing I can think of is making sure all the connections are properly fastened.

10. BillSune

BillSune Agent

whatever you do don't take it to Best Buy for any reason.

I worked for Best Buy for a little while just so that i could get a discount on Monster Cable products and a little more experience with a company. They don't know how to fix much of anything.

If you have a small repair shop contact them or contact yamaha. They like loyal customers. They will refer you to someone who can do that.

Bill

11. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Okay guys, I don't listen to the radio long enough to know if it happens with that, but I know that my AUX input definitely does it, as well as the input from the TV, but ya know...I don't *think* it does it from my...wait, I don't have my DVD player anymore, gave it to the gf, I use my PS2 for DVDs now, and I don't know that I've watched one since then. I'll do some of this troubleshooting and contact Yamaha, thanks guys!