What's new

Problems with my Yamaha RX-V1 - no sound (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Three times recently I've turned on my RX-V1 and gotten no sound out of it. It turns on, the video switching works, and it is processing digital signals, but it won't pass any sound to the amps. However, if I switch to the 5.1 input, I will get sound from that. Each time this has happened, I've switched it on and off, changed inputs, unplugged it, tried unplugging different inputs, speakers, etc., and while it has come back to life I haven't figured out what the cause was. So it seems like a faulty DSP board.

I don't think its a short in any of the cables, because once it came back on after I cycled the power. Also, it worked perfectly fine one night, and absolutely nothing had been touched when I turned it on last night.

So I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this problem? I dread having to take it in to the shop because it will probably take weeks to get it back. Plus since its intermittent I'd like to know if its a known issue. I'd hate to take it in some place, have sit there for a week or two, then find out they did nothing because they couldn't reproduce the problem.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I have a DSP-A3090, which is a couple of generations removed from the V1, but hopefully the similarities are enough so that I can take a shot at this.
I’ve had this problem a few times on inputs that can handle analog as well as digital signals. If your late-model Yamaha is anything like mine, it can be set to automatically recognize the incoming signal as analog or digital and switch to the appropriate mode. However, the mode can be also be selected manually. I’m not sure if the automatic/manual selection is global or per-channel – check your manual. Typically you will want the selection to be automatic. When you select an input, the display should briefly show if you are in digital or analog mode. Make sure the mode displayed is correct for the input.
If it turns out that this is not the problem they I’d say you have a defective unit.
Good luck and keep us posted. :)
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I had a 3090 til the lightning struck, and they work the same in this respect. However I know that's not the issue. I keep them all in auto mode, which always works wonderfully. The RX-V1 has no trouble switching between DTS and DD and whatever else you throw at it.

The display is indicating the desired signal is coming in. For instance when I was playing with it last night I had True Romance in with the player set to DTS, and the Yammy indicated DTS on the display, just as expected. And when I switched to the CD player the display showed PCM. And I cycled through the input modes and that functioned normally.

I'm thinking it has to be defective. I've got an extended warranty, but I don't have the paperwork yet, I've got to make a call about that.

There was one other symptom I forgot to mention. This only happened some of the time when I was trying to convince it to work last night. Occasionally when I'd switch tracks or devices, the speakers would pop. It wasn't consistent, but it was annoying.

The first time this problem occured, power cycling fixed it. The second time I cycled the power a few times, switched inputs a few times, went to the 5.1 input which worked, switched back to a digital source and then it worked. Last night it took lots of fiddling. I unplugged it several times, switched inputs, changed to the 5.1, all sorts of things, then it finally came back to life. So each time the symptoms get worse. Maybe I shouldn't turn it off until I get a backup receiver so I can live while the RX-V1 is in the shop.

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
You may have a problem with the pre-outs. There is a simple fix where you just plug in RCA in and out of the pre-out jacks that should fix the problem.
You can read about the resolution to the problem here:
RX-V1 Channel Drop-out
I should note that I don't own the RX-V1, but I have been researching this unit recently (since it can be found for a great price). Ultimately I decided to upgrade my amp first (Anthem MCA-50).
I hope this solves your problem!!
Cheers!
Mass

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Its all five channels that aren't working, and they do work with the 5.1 input, so I don't think its this issue. I've already run into it with the left channel and currently have a cable running from the pre-in to the pre-out for that channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks