Problems with my subwoofer. Need help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Timmy Jackson, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Timmy Jackson

Feb 26, 2001
    • Mission 700 ASi Subwoofer
    • Onkyo TX-DS 787 Receiver
    Here are the facts.
    • The subwoofer worked fine for over a year
    • I unplugged it for approximately 3-4 months while building a new entertainment center. During this time, it sat in my closet. It was well-taken care of.
    • I plugged it in the other day and it does not work
    • I have reset my Receiver. ( I had a similar problem when I first got the subwoofer- the receiver wasn't sending any info to the subwoofer and therefor, no sound) DID A HARD RESET (hold down V1 and pushed Rec Out)
    • I tried a different subwoofer cable. No change.
    • I tried the speaker level inputs. No change.
    • There is a light on the back of the sub. When it is receiving a signal, the light is green. When it hasn't received a signal, it is red. The light keeps coming on as if it were recieving a signal.
    • I'm using a Monster Power Surge Protecter (the SW200 I believe). It is specifically designed for a subwoofer.
    • I have tried to detect action by the subwoofer from both test tones and by playing bass-enhanced CD's.
    • [​IMG]
    What do I do next? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
  2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Jan 16, 1998
    Neil Joseph
    If you attach the sub cable at the back of the sub, and put your fingers on the other end of the cable, can you hear the hum in the cable? Do not do this test at very high volume levels.
  3. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Jan 6, 2002
    You can also attach some leads to any 1.5v battery, turn the volume at you sub to less than 1/4 then connect one lead to the "ground" and with the other "tap" the center conductor.

This should produce a "thud" form your sub. Turn the volume up very gradually till you hear it. If you don't your sub is kaput.
  4. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Aug 25, 1999
    Here are a few things you can try.

Remove the speaker and test the speaker for operation.
    You can use a "D" battery or a signal source to do this.

If the speaker is working, then you know it is in the signal path.

Your amplifier section may have a series of fuses. A line fuse that controls all the power and may have additional fuses on the output circuit. a number of manufacturers put a pico fuse on the speaker lead as well.

the line fuse is working, other wise the amp would not power up.

These fuses will most likely be a soldered in kind.

Pull the amp panel ans inspect the components. Look close to the place the speaker leads hook up too. If you see a small 1/4 inch cube right next to or very close to the positive speaker output lead, that may be the pico fuse.

A quick check with a multimeter will tell you if the fuse is blown.

Any competent shop should be able to replace these fuses quickly and of course a small fee.