Problems With My Copy Of Flicker Alley's JUDEX DVD Set

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Roderick Gauci, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

Today, I sat down to watch one of my most eagerly anticipated releases for 2004, Flicker Alley’s 2-Disc Set of Louis Feuillade’s 12-episode Silent Serial JUDEX (1916-17).

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film and was somewhat surprised at the rather satisfactory quality of the print/transfer itself (especially in comparison with the Image/Water Bearer DVD of Feuillade’s preceding serial LES VAMPIRES [1915-16]), my enthusiasm considerably abated when both discs froze up on me: Disc 1 in the middle of Episode 3 (entitled “The Fantastic Dog Pack”), exactly at the start of Chapter 3 (“The Pursuit”); and Disc 2 in the middle of Episode 9 (entitled “When The Child Appeared”), right at the start of Chapter 3 (“The Awakening”)!

I managed to continue watching the rest of both discs after pressing the fast-forward button on my control for a few seconds, but I was disappointed – to say the least – by the presence of these glitches on my copy of JUDEX! I did eject the discs to check their surface for any visible anomalies but there seemed to be nothing wrong with them. I suspect that both instances occurred at layer changes but I’m not sure. So do you think that I have been saddled with defective discs or is it just my Pioneer DV-535K which is unable to tackle the layer change smoothly? Should I try to have it exchanged at Deep Discount DVD (where I had pre-ordered the set)? I abhor having to fast-forward through those particular scenes every time I decide to watch the film in future.

Another thing I was baffled by was the fact that while the Prologue and the first 2 epiosdes were time-coded, the rest of the film reverted to a simple “PLAY” function which does not allow one to determine the length of any particular episode!

Actually I tried to do a search on the net to see if anyone else has encountered similar problems with their copies but, alas, discussion of this truly excellent film seems to be very sporadic indeed (which is a pity)!

2. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

My copy of this set will be arriving soon, so I'll post if I experience the same problem or not.

3. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

I received mine a few days ago, but haven't had a chance to view it yet. I'll try to give it a spin this afternoon & pay attention to the places you indicated.

4. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Roderick, my copy of Judex pauses for a second at both points you mention, then pixilates briefly and continues playing normally without me having to press anything. I used a Panasonic RP-82.

It's probable the entire press run suffers from this minor but annoying defect. Have you contacted Flicker Alley about this yet?

5. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

Donald,

Sorry to hear you've encountered the same problem I did with your copy of JUDEX.

As for whether I have contacted Flicker Alley about the matter, actually, it was they who contacted me after reading a similar thread my brother posted on the "Alt.Movies.Silent" Forum! It transpired that some of the screeners that were sent out to several entities for review purposes had resulted defective in the manner that I had described, but Flicker Alley was supposed to have solved the problem before the discs were to be released to the general public. Anyway, they were generous enough to send me a ‘corrected’ replacement but, unfortunately, the very same thing occurred with this new copy as well!! It just seems like my Pioneer DVD player can't handle the layer-changes on this set – though, when I duly informed Flicker Alley about it, they promised me they'd keep working on it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this time around,and hoping for the best...

6. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

I tell you, if you call your DVD company FLICKER ALLEY, you're just asking for trouble...

[​IMG]