What's new

Problems with Marantz phone input. Any suggestions please? (1 Viewer)

Sergey M

Stunt Coordinator
I have two Marantz receivers, SR8000 and SR7000. Plugged in headphones into phones input on my primary 4+ years old receiver (SR8000) for the first time today. The problem is, I only get left channel in the headphones.

Tried the same headphones with the same connector on SR7000 upstairs and it worked fine. Both receivers are very similarly built and looking. SR8000 simply has more power and few more features.

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem? If it were a faulty phones input, would it make sense try to get it fixed? I, of course, could swap two receivers but I purposely bought a more powerful unit to drive a larger sub and four floor standing speakers.

I'd appreciate *any* suggestions. Thank you.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
You're using the headphone jack *output* right? Not the phono *input*? :)

Try jiggling the jack in the connector. If that doesn't help, the connector probably needs to be cleaned or replaced. You also could try a different set of headphones just to make sure the headphone jack itself isn't marginal.

Sergey M

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, sorry. Should've written output. It's basically one of those Phone outs on the front plate.

I tested it on both receivers using the same headphones and connector. On the one where it worked fine TV broadcast didn't sound 100% balanced so I tried it with different source, using one of my XBOX games. That worked well so, I assume headphones are OK.

I'll give cleaning a try. I could also try to take the face plate off.

BTW, how difficult/costly would it be to replace a (at some electronics repair shop I assume)?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how much it might cost to fix. You could try one of those VCR repair places. A lot of times they'll give something like this a shot. Maybe you could get one to give you a free estimate. Could be they just need to bend in one of the contactors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks