Problems with JP3 DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ruben Zamora, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

I hope its not just me. But in my JP3 DVD I noticed the DTS track to have lots of skips. NOt in VIDEO, but audio. DOes my DVD player need to be clean. Just to make Sure I popped in SPR and it played GREAT. But when I play JP3 I get the skips.

2. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

hmm any scratches? My DVD ran fine...

3. Ruben Zamora

No scratches. I've only played it 1 time.

I saw it again for a second time to count all the skips and I had over 50!! I rewatched it in DD and no skips.

So my DTS track is indead SH*T.

And they were throughout the whole film. Major ones noticed were when little charlie goes "raw, raw" , When the raptros get their 2 eggs back, when eric says "THATS MY DADS SAT PHONE"

This piss's me OFF.

4. Jovan J

Jovan J Extra

I've just finished watching JP3 in DTS and I had no dropouts or skips.

Toshiba SD6200

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

No DTS problems on mine.

6. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    Ruben,
    You wouldn't happen to have an Onkyo receiver? The 797 model perhaps?
    There is discussion of this issue playing out in the "Onkyo" section of www.hometheaterspot.com
    I hope it plays on my system. I've got the Onkyo TX-DS989 (mentioned once on the aforementioned thread). I won't know until I open my Christmas gifts. [​IMG]
    Spence

7. Hal Olson

Hal Olson Auditioning

Just watched my copy this morning. DTS mode.

No skips.

Toshiba SD-3108

8. Ruben Zamora

Spence, as a matter of fact, I do have an ONKYO. But its the 575X. I'll give the forum a look.

9. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    Hal,
    What make and model of receiver do you have?
    ...and where in the heck is Stratford Wisconsin? [​IMG]
    Ruben,
    Your model is the first I've heard of. The problem seems to be prevelent with the Onkyo 797, but the 898, and the 989 had also been mentioned.

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Played it on my DVD Rom, then on my home system fine.

11. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    Thanks, but saying that it plays fine on your hardware does nothing to help determine a common element if you don't mention the hardware that you are using for playback.[​IMG]
    Please state the make & model of both your receiver, and DVD player please.[​IMG]

12. Ruben Zamora

I FIGURED OUT WHAT WAS WRONG!!!

When I put in the new subwoofer I got, I set all speakers to small, including my mains. Well for some reason that caused the skipping everywhere! I put the mains back to Large and whall la no more skips in the audio tracks.

13. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    Way to go Ruben!

A friend of mine called me last night (I had set up his receiver for him) with the JPIII problem where the audio was skipping while listening to Dolby Digital. They switched to DTS, and no more problem.

I'll pass your findings along to him and see if it helps!

Spence

14. Hal Olson

Hal Olson Auditioning

Spence,

I own a Yamaha 2095 model receiver. I also sent my Toshiba SD-3108 DVD player in for a firmware up-grade about a year or so ago. That might also make a difference.

As far as where the heck is Stratford? Almost in the middle of the state, just a little north. (Smack in the center of cow country).

Hal

15. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    ...um would that be "cow country South" or "cow country North"?
    There are cows all over this damn state! [​IMG]

16. AlexKay

AlexKay Extra

Hey everyone,
    We need to narrow this problem down as much as possible.
    First of all, the problem is NOT with the DTS soundtrack.
    The problem only occurs when selecting the DD-5.1(Dolby Digital 5.1) soundtrack in the "LANGUAGES" menu on the JP3 disc.
    The DTS selection is working fine from the standpoint of; (a.)It "Auto" selects the DTS-ES-Matrix 6.1 portion, and (b.) No audio dropouts occur(AT-ALL).
    Sorry Spence: This dropout problem does occur on our Onkyo TX-DS989 receivers, yet the DTS was fine!! I'm not familiar with the EX and ES setting format on other Onkyos, but as far as all these other models; 898, 797 5xx etc. the dropouts are also occuring in the DD-5.1 format only. Everyone else is reporting the DTS is cool with no audio dropouts!!
    So far from what I've been seeing on the forums is, that it appears to be a double edge sword, in that there is a problem with the disc as well as possibly the decoder chipset in Onkyo receivers? This is just my guess.
    To narrow it down further in trying to isolate this problem, I would have to blame the disc. Maybe it's a bug in the new technology on the disc where they are trying to set the flag for the EX soundtrack. After all, this is the first, maybe second(Pearl Harbor), DVD that has this problem, and it's all related to the EX flag!
    After playing over 200 movies of every available sound format in the past year on my 989, this is the first time I've experienced this problem.
    I assure you I will get rid of the JP3 disc before I toss out the 989.[​IMG]
    As far as Pearl Harbor goes, I have only watched half of it in DTS, and so far it was fine! But, after reading about some issues with that one too, I'm curious and will have to experiment in DD-5.1 mode and see what the heck is up with that...
    I'm also interested to see if the Large/Small speaker issue is going to fix the problem. If it does, then that would have to be a crossover issue for what ever reason...[​IMG]
    I have emailed UNIVERSAL studios to see what they have to say, but I won't hold my breath in expecting a reply from them.
    Remember the DTS problem with Jurassic Park I from about 3 months ago? Universal came up to the plate and admitted there was a defect on the soundtrack, and re-released and replaced the defects. Maybe this is a repeat(Defect) with JP3?? Time will tell!
    Keep the comments and findings coming so we can nail this problem ASAP!![​IMG]

17. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Just watched it last night with no problems on a Panasonic RV80.

18. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    Great detective work AlexKay!
    I'll be half happy being able to listen to half of the audio options. [​IMG]
    Friends of mine having a 797 had the problem. I told them to switch audio modes, and it played fine.
    Perhaps something is a bit too tight within the tolerances between the receiver's decoders and the DVD as this seems to be a relatively recent discovery (possibly starting with Pearl Harbor). I hope like heck that it isn't some new level of MacroVision, or some other encryption! This would tick off a great deal of Onkyo owners!
    I'm hoping that Universal re-presses the disk, and provides them for exchange.
    Again, good work![​IMG]
    Spence

19. Jason Amerson

Jason Amerson Auditioning

My best friend watched JP3 DTS with an Onkyo receiver and had the same drop out problem. He said the problem did not occur on the DD5.1 track. Not sure of his specifi model.

20. Don

Don Second Unit

Spence Stratford should be up around Marshfield. if you want the exact location go to http://maps.yahoo.com as to where i'm in Wisconsin. i'm in Milwaukee I'm Closer to Chicago then Hal is. Don, P.S. Spence where are you located in Wisc.